Photos OK to edit
_DSC0663_sRGB_ss.jpg

Hidden waterfall, Uig, Skye.

_DSC0691_sRGB_ss.jpg

Half an hour after sunset, North Uist.

_DSC0636_sRGB_ss2.jpg

View from the Quiraing, Skye.

_DSC1419_sRGB_ss.jpg

Clearing thunderstorms, Glen Garry, Highlands.

Yes, I know that there's only one from the Outer Hebrides. I was actually lugging my old and heavy film camera around the islands rather than the digital. I only really used the digital for the fun and family shots so didn't really capture any worthwhile landscapes.

I've recently returned to my old passion of large format B&W which I'll be publishing on my new blog when I get round to developing them. But don't hold your breath, my enthusiasm for what I think I have captured will most likely be a little crushed when I see the reality.

There's also a little more about a couple of the shots above.

Those who know me will know that I have little interest in discussing technology or how it records. It's really just me ordering my thoughts, so don't worry if you don't agree with any of the ramblings, I don't really expect anyone to.

Really love the last one. The delicate colors and gradations are just gorgeous, and the composition is so well-balanced.

Very Nice! I agree the Glen Gary shot is stunning, the purples with the light hitting the side of the landscapes makes it.

Thanks for the comments. @limr & @weepete, yes I much prefer the last one. Its the only one I've printed A2 and will matt it later to see how it hangs in my temporary gallery.

I prefer no.3, love it really captures Scotland perfectly.

Beautiful set. For me I actually prefer the first and the third, but I'm partial to rich greens. Just out of curiosity it seems like I'm encountering a lot more atmospheric haze then i used to, some of it may be gasses from all the forest in the area, but I suspect part of it may be pollution. Do you see that there?

Just out of curiosity it seems like I'm encountering a lot more atmospheric haze then i used to, some of it may be gasses from all the forest in the area, but I suspect part of it may be pollution. Do you see that there?

There was a lot of haze here but due to the weather conditions rather than any pollution.

We've had a dominant high pressure to the east of us for a while now. This lead to a ridge of high pressure sitting over us for three to four weeks with an easterly breeze. So the west coast was brighter and sunny but it also brings the associated inversion that basically stops the warm air rising and traps it near the surface. The evaporated moisture that forms on airborne particles then builds up and forms a haze. (In cities the particles are, at least partly, pollution.)

This moisture condenses in the cool air that drops to ground level at night and forms the "haar". You can see the haar in the photo below as it begins to lift in the sun and re-form as haze and fair-weather clouds above the mountains of Harris.

Camper van being where camper vans should be:
_DSC0855_sRGB_sm.jpg

It is also why we had the wave of quite vigorous thunderstorms that swept through England, and the downpours on Mainland Scotland. A trough passed through which is basically the remnants of a cold front and pushes the humid, energy laden air high into the atmosphere where it condenses and forms cumulo-nimbus, (thunderclouds).

Sorry for the lesson. ;-) Understanding the weather patterns really helps me in predicting conditions and light.

Sorry for the lesson. ;-) Understanding the weather patterns really helps me in predicting conditions and light.

Well duh, sometimes something so simple is easily overlooked. I really need to start thinking ahead more.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back