Overrated Photographers... and not just famous ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
:er: Poor girl she's been F*&^

"90% of them were snap shots"

Nice try, but you'll need to do better if you wish to become an art critic. That's a tired old slam, and actually quite inappropriate. She's working in a genre that requires an educated viewer who has a background in art.

That was not a critique it was my personal opinion, if you like her work, thats great I just want to express my opinion and compare it with others.

I thought a number of them were at least interesting.

They're not snapshots, though. She's doing "something" with most, if not all, of them. A couple I don't quite get what she's doing myself, but most I can at least see it... even if it doesn't appeal to me.

As Derrel said... I think it takes a bit more knowledge to see what she's up to.

EDIT: And btw... who cares? Her being acknowledged and whether or not she is 'worthy' is not important... unless you are taking it personally and saying "If her, then why not me?", at which point... well...

I see your point, it could be that its not my taste at all. (And ok, maybe I am a little jealous). However im pretty sure I dont need to go to art school to tell this took very little time http://rachelhulin.com/new-years/01

Nice try, but you'll need to do better if you wish to become an art critic. That's a tired old slam, and actually quite inappropriate. She's working in a genre that requires an educated viewer who has a background in art.

I do understand what she was trying to achieve with most of her photos which was strong shape arrangements and geometry I just didn't think she was successful. Ive been into photography long enough to know how much effort was put into a photo. Also I will agree with the above posters, her exposures are really good with a nice dynamic range, i give her credit there.

Last edited:
I would agree with your first post ccauceg. One basis of artistic composition is a centre of interest and in the case of photography a centre of interest with some visual impact. I do not see that in her work. Moreover busy backgrounds with conflicting articles, bright areas, and shapes distracts the eye of the viewer. Colour and lighting as well as camera angle could also be improved.

Basically I do not see any technical and artistic quality that would qualify this as much more than snapshots and I do have the requisite background that Derrel thinks is necessary.

skieur

One basis of artistic composition is a centre of interest and in the case of photography a centre of interest with some visual impact.

Yes, but sometimes (oftentimes? 50/50? :D) the entire image is the center of interest and there is nothing wrong with that.

Also, a busy background behind a busy foreground can be a good thing when the photog does wish you to spend some time looking, does not wish his/her intention to be obvious... :er:

One thing in art that is sure is that we will never really know what the artist had in mind when he/she created the piece unless we were told directly by the artist. And that is only if assuming that the artist knows. I personally have some works that are very deliberate, planified, etc and I have some work that is purely instinct driven. With those pieces, you may actually know more about their meaning than I do. But then again, you could be totally wrong.

I usually prefer to just like a piece or not. And to be honest, just explaining why I like this and not that can sometimes be a problem. Explaining a gut feeling is never easy but you know it is right. For you, at least.
:D

*ahem*

Thomas Struth

blows big chunks
I was just looking through his stuff, i dont know how famous he is, but if he has been showcased I cant believe he made it that far with that kind of work.

For the record I may sound very negative on my post of other photographers,it's not that I hate all other photographers in fact I like a lot of peoples work and I get inspired easily. Its just when I see poor quality produced by photographers who go that far in their artistic career I have to question it.

"Tripods are no longer required, and actually often degrade sharpness, because shutter speeds have climbed and IS and VR lenses reduced the need for slower speeds."

-Ken Rockwell

Oy!

"Tripods are no longer required, and actually often degrade sharpness, because shutter speeds have climbed and IS and VR lenses reduced the need for slower speeds."

-Ken Rockwell

Oy!

Haha Dont ask me, i thought it was hilarious.

I wouldn't say all of her stuff appealed to me, but there was quite a lot of stuff I found thought provoking. I do think I saw something that would be worthy of a 'Blurry Cat' award in there though... ;)

lol, i wanted to say it but didn't want to start up the "S in the Blurry Cat" all over again... :lol: see, all of you guys that hated the "Blurry Cat" will soon see it in New York Art Galleries... me thinks Rialto was on to something as far as this new trend in photography... :lol:

-Ken Rockwell

Oy!

Haha Dont ask me, i thought it was hilarious.

lol, thanks for sharing this! i saw your sig on another post and thought it was funny so i read the linked article... all i can say is WOW lol :lmao::lmao::lmao: Oh Ken Rockwell..... :hail:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back