Oversized Frames...

nrois02

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all, I posted on here a while back about mounting to aluminum and I was just wondering if anyone knows how to frame in the "larger" world. I have prints that are around 24"x96" and 24"x140" and I was interested to know if anyone has had experience with framing like this and how much it costs and if there are ways to do it on the cheaper level? Anything insight and help works!! Thanks

_Austin

Once you go over 60 inches it gets expensive.
Plexi over 96 inches ramps up more.

You are looking at $400-$450 each in a basic frame.

---my better half is a custom framer.

why when going over 60 does it become expensive? and have you had experience doing this?

My other half is a framer by trade.

Matboard comes in standard sizes, and once you go over 60" it is a special order.

learn to frame yourself; its not too difficult to pick up. as Bitter said... large framing is expensive. why? because pieces of glass that large (over 8 feet) are tricky to cut properly without shattering or cracking the glass.

I would like to learn myself but right now I am in a little bit of a time crunch. I went to a tiny gallery with my girlfriend yesterday and saw a photograph that was around 79"x83" and it was in a simple but big frame. I didnt see any matte board against it so I am also curious to know if I dont really need matte and if I dont how do I properly get the photo to hang in the frame? And are there places to get custom glass? and do I really need glass? Sorry for the newb question but Im trying to finish up a senior project for college and I dont have that much money to start throwing at this. I am also trying to make it look as professional as possible.

Dry mount them on Cintra and put a strainer on the back for hanging. No frame, no glass, no mat, no plexi.
You may or may not get Gatorboard that large.

You are in quite a spot with images that large. As always, "professional looking", is not cheap.

Most reactions

Back