Owl ID?

Raymond J Barlow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.raymondbarlow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I forgot the name of this Owl., Peter might know?

rwebsz0986.jpg

Taken at Point Pelee a couple of weeks ago. (Screech Owl)??

Oops. Don't know owls, myself, so sorry.
But I know when to envy someone who finds these out in the wild. If I ever see owls (or any other birds, save "my" sparrow), it would certainly be in a wildlife park or bird park.

Thanks LaFoto.. The place is a National park, recognized for it's incredible diverse bird speices who migrate through here every spring and fall., when you get here, you just ask where and when to whomever passes but, and you will have all sorts of interesting information., and about 2 KMs down the trail, and near a crowd of on-lookers, here it was!

Awesome shot Sir Ray. I am always blown away how you can spot these. amazing.

great owl shot!

it's hard for me to tell because there is nothing there that i can compare it to for size. they have the tufts on their ears like the great horned owl.

i believe you are correct because it looks like a gray phase screech owl. screech owls are not very large (maybe almost as big as a young crow).

i have an owl nest box over my kitchen window and usually have red or gray phase screech owls spend the winter in it. they only nested there once that i know of. that is usually when you see them sitting out where you can spot them in the daylight. they would have young big enough to climb out of the nest now.

Did you see any young? screech owls can get into a pretty small hole. they first took over my flicker box....so i built them their own with a large perch. they use it every winter and make the squirrels go packing!

i have pictures of them with their head stuck out of the hole in the box. they almost look like a cat with just their head showing....

SQUACKS said:
great owl shot!

it's hard for me to tell because there is nothing there that i can compare it to for size. they have the tufts on their ears like the great horned owl.

i believe you are correct because it looks like a gray phase screech owl. screech owls are not very large (maybe almost as big as a young crow).

i have an owl nest box over my kitchen window and usually have red or gray phase screech owls spend the winter in it. they only nested there once that i know of. that is usually when you see them sitting out where you can spot them in the daylight. they would have young big enough to climb out of the nest now.

Did you see any young? screech owls can get into a pretty small hole. they first took over my flicker box....so i built them their own with a large perch. they use it every winter and make the squirrels go packing!

i have pictures of them with their head stuck out of the hole in the box. they almost look like a cat with just their head showing....

No little ones Squacks, but I heard there was a pair of mates there in those woods. This owl was a bit on the small side, about the size of a crow.

then it is almost for sure a screech owl at that size.

a great horned owl is BIG! it has been known to carry off small dogs (my friends jack russel) and can kill fairly large skunks.

the screech owls i have here feed on roosting birds a lot. cardinals seem to be a favorite as they are the first up in the morning and the last to roost whiich puts them still out and about when the screech owl is active.
my nest box has a lots of feathers in it when i clean it and cardinals make a fair showing among them.....

luck!

SQUACKS said:
then it is almost for sure a screech owl at that size.

a great horned owl is BIG! it has been known to carry off small dogs (my friends jack russel) and can kill fairly large skunks.

the screech owls i have here feed on roosting birds a lot. cardinals seem to be a favorite as they are the first up in the morning and the last to roost whiich puts them still out and about when the screech owl is active.
my nest box has a lots of feathers in it when i clean it and cardinals make a fair showing among them.....

luck!

Wow! Thanks for the info!

Most reactions

Back