Owl photos

cowbert098

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.ppbt.net
Does anyone know how to talke a picture of an owl at night? Every night I hear and sometimes see an owl in my back yard but it is always very dark out. How can I get a picture of it? Thanks

whats your flash sync speed?
If it sits still long enough you could try a long exposure shot. Focusing in the dark is a pain tho

I had this same problem before to. I never did get the shot though haha.
If the owl is too far away for your flash to get it, maybe you could set up some lights during the day, and when the owl comes around at night turn em on and snap your shot before he flys off.. haha I know its a long shot but hey, you never know :)

It may have a favorite spot. If you can determine where this spot is, you can set the focus and composition. I'd set up your camera with flash on a tripod, and wait. When you know it's there you can take the pic. You'll probably only get one shot unless it returns.

That sounds like a good plan to me. It might be fun to set the continuos mode on your camera to. The flash prolly won't catch up, but its worth the shot

If you can get close enough to the owl, then your flash will work. I took this picture in my back yard. The owl sat in the same place on the same branch every night. I found that there was a line that I couldn't cross without scaring him away. On the third night I got this shot by standing about 15 feet away (14 feet was that imaginary line that he didn't want me crossing). If that branch wasn't sticking up right in front of him it would have been a great picture. I don't know what the flash sync was or any of the settings - sorry. It was just done with the auto mode with my Nikon N75 and a SB-50DX flash.

owl_300dpi.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back