Painter C&C?

JWellman

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.jwellmandesigns.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Taken yesterday in my hometown. C&C always appreciated!

10_25_11_Painter.jpg

My first impression is that he's got the ladder base too far out and isn't maintaining the proper 4:1 ratio and could easily ride the ladder down to the ground. My second impression is that the lights need straightening.

Now the electrician part of me has spoken, let's put on my photographer's hat.:lol:

It's hard to tell he's an artist. It looks more like he's holding a coffee cup. My thought is he's tuckpointing the brick instead. The perspective makes it look like he's reaching around the light pole.

This really isn't b&w as there is some color. I can see a slight tint to his skin, and the obvious green in the lights. The green in the lights distracts me from the subject, however. I would bring the saturation back up on the subject and reduce it on the lights.

No offense but it looks like a snapshot. I don't see anything that grabs my attention.

I think just bw would be better. The green lamps are distracting since the painter is supposed to be the main focus. Nice sharpness though. keep up the street photography. Ive always found it to be lots of fun.

No offense but it looks like a snapshot. I don't see anything that grabs my attention.

Disagree. She set a nice shot up. If you look at the lights behind him, she lined them up prefectly. Also, look at the holes in the latter. There was a lot of thought that went into the shot. Just look at it a little longer.

Overall, I like the shot. I like the little details that you found and used.

I think it works well, and the lights and their supporting poles frame the subject in an interesting way, but I agree that the color in the lights draws one's eye away from where it ought to be.

this is a snap shot to me too. Sorry. I just don't get anything from this. I wish what he was painting was in the image.

Disagree. She set a nice shot up. If you look at the lights behind him, she lined them up prefectly. Also, look at the holes in the latter. There was a lot of thought that went into the shot. Just look at it a little longer.

Overall, I like the shot. I like the little details that you found and used.

I didn't realize how the lights lined up before. I think there is just too much distraction on the left hand side for me to notice the right side.

Snapshot?
*ugh*

There is a lot of interesting things going on in the composition. As mishelle pointed out, The dark half round shapes running up the ladder, which is a nice strong line, takes you to a similar shape in his sunglasses, the arcs of the lighting take you to the lights which repeat that similar shape (and they are all dark). The lights facing in point you right back to that strong line. This all frames the painter. The strong angle of the ladder and the circular eye path I mention, give me a sense of uneasyness, which I would have on that ladder.

I don't understand comments about what he is holding. Not being a type form (paint pail) urges the viewer to look more closely. It's also not like she set this scene up, and it was in her control.

As for the desaturation or possible selective color, for me, it wasn't so intrusive, and frankly I looked past it at first.

I think this is a well done street shot, and has far better composition than most I see.

I like it, it's well composed and I just like seeing shots of places I recognize. I really need to do a walk around in the big C sometime soon. The only time I make it down there now is to see my step mother on Thanksgiving.

Not much critique here...It draws me in. Almost every line in the picture draws my eyes to the painter....the light shades, the curve of the light poles, the ladder, and the overhang behind him. There is just enough color shade to give it a little pop.

Thank you for the comments Bentcountershaft and Stobber

BentC - You're not missing much. Same buildings and people that were there 100 years ago. :sexywink:
I could live on the square though. I love downtown.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back