Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5K for a beginner?

Can anyone comment on the image quiality stigma that has attached to Lumix cameras generally. Is it just me, or do they seem to suffer, across the model lineup, against others in 90 percent of user reviews and professional reviews when it comes down to image quality. Damn.

A lot of it has to do with high expectations stemming from a higher than competitor price tag and the Leica glass that also carries a stigma. Lumix also tend to be a bit aggressive towards internal processing which has a tendency to muddy up the details in low light. In good light, they do perform well. My TZ5 falls into this category BUT it still fits my needs for a pocket snapshooter type camera to carry around.

As far as I am concerned, there are only two Lumix branded items that deserve very high remarks is their G1 (for its design and performance) and the LX3 which competes directly with the G-series canon's. I did a lot of research and I was very close to purchasing the $500+ LX3 but realized that I didn't need such a high end P&S. If the price tag doesn't discourage, the LX3 is a wonderful camera to look into.... feature and performance close to the G10 but in a more compact body. I still might buy one when they start to hit the used market.

Most reactions

Back