Pano Stitching in Photoshop

jnm

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So the how is pretty easy and straight forward, don't need help on that.

My question is, do you guys that use Lightroom 2 or 3 make your edits there to all the pics first and then send to PS for stitching, or do you have PS stitch the raw files first and then work with the pano in LR?

If you do PS first and then LR, what file type do you save it as, or is there a way to send a raw file back to LR? it didn't seem that way, it needed to save the file first but i may have been missing something. my PS knowledge is >.< that much.

thanks!

made these 2 so far. did PS stitch first, saved as a photoshop file, and opened in LR3 for further touch ups but dont know if thats optimal. going to go back (or have a PS literate friend i should say) and remove the people, but this is what i have for now.

730502344_T82UT-X2.jpg

730503576_hF7gQ-X2.jpg

You can't edit a RAW file (in Photoshop) and then send it to LR as a RAW file. Before Photoshop can even do anything to it, it goes through Adobe Camera RAW, which converts it into an actual image file, which you can then save as PSD, TIFF, JPEG etc.
So if you do edit it in Photoshop first, you may loose some of the RAW editing flexibility in LR...but you still get the rest of the workflow advantages of LR.

This is what I have done.
I start in LR. I take the group of images for the pano and do as much of the editing as I can. Usually it's just tweaking one of the images and then syncing the others. It's obviously important that the same edits get applied to all the images to keep them consistent.
Right from LR, I can send the images directly to Photoshop's stitching utility...so that's what I do. Once PS has done it's thing (sometimes takes a while) I'll continue to edit the image in PS if it needs it. When you hit 'save' after using the 'open in...' from LR, it automatically sends the image back to LR.
If it's something that I really want to work on in PS, I'll 'save as' and keep a working file with layers intact etc.

i suspected that but i wasn't sure. i was so excited to make the pano i didnt stop to think about losing the ability to work with the raw in LR if i stitched first.

thanks, ill have another go at it!

Beautiful scenery where was this taken?

i suspected that but i wasn't sure. i was so excited to make the pano i didnt stop to think about losing the ability to work with the raw in LR if i stitched first.

thanks, ill have another go at it!
If it was a 16 bit pano you made, I am not sure you lost that much. Maybe the original pre-adjustment image, but I am sure there is still plenty to work with unless you made drastic changes.

If PS made the pano, you could still go back and adjust the original RAW and then have PS make a new pano out of that. That isn't too much work, unlike if you had hand masked everything.

yeah, i took down the original pano from my site since i updated them so theres no more original to compare to but they were in my OP. wasnt any work as you say to go back and edit the raw files first. here's the results.

731902449_KEk33-X2.jpg

731903050_7NtsD-X2.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back