Panorama: When should you use it?

It doesn't affect the DOF one by one, but it affects it like how a larger sensor could have less depth of field at the same f stop. In conclusion, don't use panorama unless you have a crappy zoom lens or a lens that isn't wide enough.

So if someone used a zeiss 50mm for a pano then they would be doing it wrong in your opinion? And all this time I thought you just used it to make pictures of scenes that are wider then your focal length.

When I've messed around with pano I've gotten my best results out of a Zeiss 50, I think because there's very little difference between the center and edges of the frame, so everything stitches realistically.

Also one of the worst lenses to use in a pano is a 'crappy zoom lens' as this will have more distortion which won't suit a pano at all

uhhhhhh..... with panorama you can get wider shot with shorter distance to the subject.. So you can actually make the DOF really shallow.

It doesn't affect the DOF one by one, but it affects it like how a larger sensor could have less depth of field at the same f stop. In conclusion, don't use panorama unless you have a crappy zoom lens or a lens that isn't wide enough.

So if someone used a zeiss 50mm for a pano then they would be doing it wrong in your opinion? And all this time I thought you just used it to make pictures of scenes that are wider then your focal length.

When I've messed around with pano I've gotten my best results out of a Zeiss 50, I think because there's very little difference between the center and edges of the frame, so everything stitches realistically.

I said this just because I have a friend in Hong Kong that does the most amazing pano cityscape work and uses a Zeiss 50mm for most of it. There is no loss of image quality and typically he can pull out higher resolution images with some nice photoshop craftiness.

For one thing you would usually want to use panoramic images for quality 360 or full 3D pano views - those that you would often see on hotel / venue websites...

I just use panoramic images when I need to show more area than what 1 frame can cover. Like someone said, they don't make 360 degree lens. And even if they did, I don't want to be in the picture with my ugly gear.

Now, an interesting topic would be using panoramic images. When do you need to take 10 shot panorama, and when do you only need 3. I see a lot of time people make 20 image panoramas and include all kinds of surroundings that don't even need to be included to reinforce the shot. Also, making them too wide makes the shot useless because you can barely see what the person is shooting. Sometimes it works okay with landscapes when you're just making a shot to leave an impression of the view, but other times, people will shoot a photo of a downtown thats 20 shots long, and all you see on your screen is a very thin line across your monitor. Obviously everything depends on your idea of what you're showing with your shot,but I've seen it too many times in the past when people do something because it's "cool" but not very practical to perceive.

These kinds of things..

I said this just because I have a friend in Hong Kong that does the most amazing pano cityscape work and uses a Zeiss 50mm for most of it.

I hope it isn't Kai W because that guy is terrible.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back