Panorama: When should you use it?

EchoingWhisper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When should you use panoramas?

Do not use panoramas when -
1. You're trying to get a 'flatter' perspective you tend to get from longer focal lengths. Perspective doesn't change according to focal lengths, the distance between you and you subject, foreground and background changes it. Using a panorama doesn't help either.
2. You're trying for resolution, unless you are using a zoom lens where a particular focal length/aperture have less distortion/more resolution etc. You get don't really get more resolution, because when you create a panorama, you are actually having less depth of field. To get the depth of field, you'd have to stop down and diffraction will decrease the resolution.
3. Your computer isn't good, you're not helping yourself.

Use it when -
1. You are using a zoom lens where a particular focal length/aperture have less distortion/more resolution etc.
2. You need less depth of field but can't afford a faster lens, ie Bokehrama or the Brenizer Method.
3. You are trying to avoid 'stretched' corners.

Silly me. I make panos because no one makes a lens with a 360° FOV.

And I didn't know that the stitching process affected the DOF of the final image.

When should you use panoramas?

Do not use panoramas when -
1. You're trying to get a 'flatter' perspective you tend to get from longer focal lengths. Perspective doesn't change according to focal lengths, the distance between you and you subject, foreground and background changes it. Using a panorama doesn't help either.
2. You're trying for resolution, unless you are using a zoom lens where a particular focal length/aperture have less distortion/more resolution etc. You get don't really get more resolution, because when you create a panorama, you are actually having less depth of field. To get the depth of field, you'd have to stop down and diffraction will decrease the resolution.
3. Your computer isn't good, you're not helping yourself.

Use it when -
1. You are using a zoom lens where a particular focal length/aperture have less distortion/more resolution etc.
2. You need less depth of field but can't afford a faster lens, ie Bokehrama or the Brenizer Method.
3. You are trying to avoid 'stretched' corners.

"sound of buzzer", Ummm you should use panorama when you want a panorama image, but I have no idea what you were getting at in your post below your question of "when should you use panorama"

It doesn't affect the DOF one by one, but it affects it like how a larger sensor could have less depth of field at the same f stop. In conclusion, don't use panorama unless you have a crappy zoom lens or a lens that isn't wide enough.

My main points are at when not to use panoramas, not at when to use it, so I might have forgotten some points for when to use it.

........ In conclusion, don't use panorama unless you have a crappy zoom lens.............

Huh? Only make panos if your zoom is crappy?
scratch-1.gif

I have to say that I just don't get this.

I would shoot a pano (rarely) if the shoot looked good for a pano and I would choose the lens, etc to make it work.
I don't shoot a pano because I have a certain lens or want a specific dof.

Perhaps if I had more experience in shooting panos, I would understand.
But I am open to being educated.

I think I have a bad problem not checking what I have typed. One has to define how a shot would be good for pano. Example, a shot that should be wide, a shot that should have less DOF. I think that my main points are don't do a pano because you want a better perspective or because more resolution. The resolution advantage is likely to be diminished by lack of depth of field or diffraction, whichever you choose to go with. Experienced pano shooters will realise that they need more depth of field when shooting at longer focal lengths. Stopping down would only decrease resolution once it passed the sweet spot of the lens.

I think I have a bad problem not checking what I have typed. One has to define how a shot would be good for pano. Example, a shot that should be wide, a shot that should have less DOF. I think that my main points are don't do a pano because you want a better perspective or because more resolution. The resolution advantage is likely to be diminished by lack of depth of field or diffraction, whichever you choose to go with. Experienced pano shooters will realise that they need more depth of field when shooting at longer focal lengths. Stopping down would only decrease resolution once it passed the sweet spot of the lens.

I'm still confused. I shoot a pano because no one makes lenses with the FOV I need to capture the scene. It's the only way I know to get the image I'm after. For example, this one is about 250°

panotiltcropsmall.jpg

If DOF and/or resolution is an issue, how do you propose I create it without making a pano?

FWIW, it's taken with a 10mm at f/16. Not sure if that's not enough DOF, but it sure looks like it to me.

I'm confused to. I don't understand the question because the answer is so obvious the question doesn't need to be asked. You should use a panorama when the field of view you want to capture is wider than the field of view of your camera.

I'm still confused. I shoot a pano because no one makes lenses with the FOV I need to capture the scene. It's the only way I know to get the image I'm after. For example, this one is about 250°

panotiltcropsmall.jpg

If DOF and/or resolution is an issue, how do you propose I create it without making a pano?

FWIW, it's taken with a 10mm at f/16. Not sure if that's not enough DOF, but it sure looks like it to me.

A+

As said, FOV is the key. Strictly speaking, a panorama is not defined by a wide aspect ratio, but by the field of view, often beyond what a wide angle lens can capture.

Hence I create a panoramic image if the desired composition requires it. If not, not. As simple as that.

Giving people examples of when not to create a panorama is just as useful as telling them when not to go on vacation, when not to eat pizza, ...

Most reactions

Back