part-time photographer

Mr.Bluesky

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Does anybody here work as a part-time photographer? I am only 17 years old, I go to school for about 4 hours a day, and I was just thinking about job options. Think this would work or me?

I dare say if you can find a part time position as a photographer and didn't clash with your hours of study, it could work.. finding that position though? that's the difficult thing.

Very difficult i might add. But how much knowledge do you have? since when are you shooting. If you are experienced than you might find something. Try maybe being an assistant, but this isn't a very paid job, but you'll gain a lot of experience.
Good luck. :)

Its easier to find once you decide that getting paid is no longer a requirement.

Photography is one of those fields that an educational internship is easier to find and sometimes more valuable to both parties than a paid part-time student position.

Well, I am in the process of kick-starting my own business and worked through my last year of school (full-time student) doing photography, then did photography full-time this summer and plan on doing it part time through this coming school year. So it can be done!

... it helps that you are towards the end of your college study of photography.

I think the first step is to get a portfolio to showcase your work...

... it helps that you are towards the end of your college study of photography.

Sorry I probably misread you but if you are talking about me I am just in second year of university and studying biomedical sciences not photography.

but yes.. I completely agree work on your portfolio before you even think about making money with it.

it definitely can be done - especially if you are able to make a strong commitment to making it happen

Ya, I will just keep taking photos for a while, build up a solid portfolio, and look for a part time job, or maybe even an internship. By the way, is it hard to get hired by a photography company if you do not go to college for it?

Sorry I probably misread you but if you are talking about me I am just in second year of university and studying biomedical sciences not photography.

Ah.. I misunderstood. I assumed this statement

"my last year of school (full-time student) doing photography"

meant that you were in school studying photography. Good for you then... you pulled off what many find difficult to obtain.

It might be worth working for free as an assistant just to help learn and build that portfolio.

yo, i know where you can find an easy job as a photographer, US NAVY..
i'm looking for part time job as a photographer too and posted a resume at monster, many opening but i'm just really picky that's why i still don't have a job as one, so yea.

US NAVY, well San Diego has a huge navy station, please explain more. Do you just go and take pictures when they call you in, or do you go places with them?

not quite sure with that one, post a resume at monster and after a couple of minutes, it'll show that the navy has an opening for a photographer and journalist. idk the exact details cuz i don't really want there cuz of my schedule..

The US Navy and Army use those as general recruitment tools. If you look under police jobs, there will be ones for the Navy and Army, etc. It doesn't mean that you'll do that when you get in.

I do photojournalism for the military if you have questions I have answers. There are two sides military and civilian photographers though the civilian jobs are normally filled by retired military photographers.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back