Pastels and Watercolors (and a few other art media)

Annoyingly I messed up the center top left trying to remove a Harlie hair from the paint.
Collect it , band it together, and make a brush.

I've used Zoe's fur for a fishing fly. The trick, now is to seperate the orange, black and white.

Last edited:
I think it could be done using a fly-tying bobbin. Thje handle would be the hardest part - maybe a thin piece of bamboo. Tie the fur on something like a needle, to start, them pull the needle out when done. Put the wrapped end into the bamboo, spliting it a little, first, then wrap the bamboo. You'd end up with a Chineese style sumi-e brush.

Now I have another challenge.

I think it could be done using a fly-tying bobbin. Thje handle would be the hardest part - maybe a thin piece of bamboo. Tie the fur on something like a needle, to start, them pull the needle out when done. Put the wrapped end into the bamboo, spliting it a little, first, then wrap the bamboo. You'd end up with a Chineese style sumi-e brush.

Now I have another challenge.
I will send you all the Harlie hair you want.

More flowers. Ink. The gold ink is really cool looking. It comes across yellow in the pic. Hard to photograph it without the glare ruining it. It looks so much nicer in real life.

IMG_7545.jpeg

IMG_7548.jpeg

More flowers. Ink. The gold ink is really cool looking. It comes across yellow in the pic. Hard to photograph it without the glare ruining it. It looks so much nicer in real life.

View attachment 273893

View attachment 273894
How beautiful! :) Love this composition.

Gold and anything metallic is really hard to photograph. I love using my metallic oil pastels but they rarely show well.

In a roundabout sort of way, I too am working with watercolors though in the form of Gum Bichromate over Kallitypes, Salt and Pt/Pd hand applied emulsions.View attachment 273899
Beautiful work! :icon_cheers:

Have you been working long with these alternative photographic processes? This one turned out wonderfully! The shadows, the tonality - your color washes here really work.

You could also be posting these (with or without the additions of the watercolors) in the Alternative Techniques & Photo Gallery you know. It gets lonely in there. :lol:

Beautiful work! :icon_cheers:

Have you been working long with these alternative photographic processes? This one turned out wonderfully! The shadows, the tonality - your color washes here really work.

You could also be posting these (with or without the additions of the watercolors) in the Alternative Techniques & Photo Gallery you know. It gets lonely in there. :lol:
I did it with my students for 15 years, but after I retired, I let it go until recently when I came across a ton of Alt Stuff that was still viable. I'm teaching a class in Salt Printing on May 6th and Cyanotype on June 6, then doing a multi-media exercise with Kallitypes and Gum. Should be fun.

I did it with my students for 15 years, but after I retired, I let it go until recently when I came across a ton of Alt Stuff that was still viable. I'm teaching a class in Salt Printing on May 6th and Cyanotype on June 6, then doing a multi-media exercise with Kallitypes and Gum. Should be fun.
Sounds like a blast! I hope you'll share some pics with us - would love to see them. It does my soul good to know these processes are still popular and folks want to learn about them. :586:

Oh wow that all sounds really interesting! Where do you teach? Is it at a school or community center or college? We have an “art center” here that was opened a few years ago in a big old house that someone donated to the town. They have all kinds of classes but mostly aimed at the kids. The adult classes are all during weekdays so I guess they’re targeting the retired seniors since no one else can attend!

I made these two last night. They’re smallish - 5x5 squares. Princess asked for some flowers to hang in her room so I’m doing some practice ones and then will try to recreate the better ones on a larger scale.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

IMG_7622.jpeg

I made these two last night. They’re smallish - 5x5 squares. Princess asked for some flowers to hang in her room so I’m doing some practice ones and then will try to recreate the better ones on a larger scale.

View attachment 273993

View attachment 273992
Wow!! You have nailed these delicate colors and subject matter combinations. Are you happier with your centers now? They look great to me.

Are these the alcohol inks?

Wow!! You have nailed these delicate colors and subject matter combinations. Are you happier with your centers now? They look great to me.

Are these the alcohol inks?

Thanks! I watched a couple of YouTube’s on how to do the centers. I wasn’t putting enough layers. I think these are definitely improved and I’m happy with some progress.

I really am enjoying working with the inks. I still love the look of soft watercolor landscapes and have yet to come close to producing what I want so I’m going to continue to practice and do tutorials until I’m happy with my results in that area. Princess will be home for the summer soon and I won’t have anywhere to paint with inks. 🥲 The fumes can be harmful to pets so I can’t use the other rooms in the house since it’s all open. I need a she shed.

Most reactions

Back