Pastels and Watercolors (and a few other art media)

snowbear

Fuzzy, wuzzy Nanuq
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
@terri and I have been intermittently posting some sketches made with ink and pastels. I've recently reintroduced myself to watercolors and have been trying to work in pastel. This thread is starting as a way for us to share some of these paintings, but everyone is welcome to post their own pastel and watercolor works.

Initially, we will probably keep to open subjects, though some challenges and themes may occasionally come into play. The only real stipulation will be no nudes, as this is an open forum, so if you want to play, please keep it SFW.

If you have drawings you want to add that are NSFW (full or partial nudes), please post them in Sketches and Drawings, Sometimes NSFW).

Enjoy.

Vermont Watercolor, 2019, 7" x 5", watercolor pencil,
IMG_1057_edited.jpg

Portland Head Light, 2019, 7" x 5", watercolor pencil,
IMG_1285_edited.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you. I should have something else posted this weekend.

Wonderful, Charlie! Going from those thin bold lines to the wash really adds texture and dimension. I love the look of watercolor, and admire your control of it.

We're off to a great start! Thanks for getting ball rolling for us. I'll have some stuff this weekend, too. :)

Looking forward do it. I actually have a piece of paper taped to the table and (somewhat) stretched. Trying to decide on a subject.

The pencils are easy - color, wash, repeat as needed, draw details.

Thank you. Anyone near Boulder, CO?

@terri and I have been intermittently posting some sketches made with ink and pastels. I've recently reintroduced myself to watercolors and have been trying to work in pastel. This thread is starting as a way for us to share some of these paintings, but everyone is welcome to post their own pastel and watercolor works.

Initially, we will probably keep to open subjects, though some challenges and themes may occasionally come into play. The only real stipulation will be no nudes, as this is an open forum, so if you want to play, please keep it SFW.

Enjoy.

Vermont Watercolor, 2019, 7" x 5", watercolor pencil,
View attachment 184966

Portland Head Light, 2019, 7" x 5", watercolor pencil,
View attachment 184967
More, please.

The watercolor of the Flatirons is gorgeous! Lovely palette, too I like those soft browns in the foreground.

Look at you, with the oil pastels!! :icon_cheers: Fun sketch of Zoe, too. What kind of paper is that? It's always annoyed me that so-called "pastel paper" has so much texture that they're practically divets that take several layers of OP if you want a smooth look like a watercolor. But I sure like that tone for the sketch. What brand OP are those?

Okay, here's one from me. My husband and I like to watch a bunch of Twilight Zone episodes over New Year's, when there's usually a marathon going on. I got inspired by one of the images the program opening flashes at the viewer. Couldn't help myself! :lol:

Under the sun 1.JPG

"Dimension of Imagination" - courtesy Rod Serling
:sexywink:

Nice, Terri; I like the clouds .

Here's today's practice. I was building up color and depth with multiple washes. You can still see the pencil lines from the initial sketching.

IMG_E1290[1].JPG

Most reactions

New Topics

Back