Pastels and Watercolors (and a few other art media)

Thanks for the tip with the OP and turpenoid!
Sure thing. :) I found them a difficult medium to learn, partly due to the limited tutorials on them out there. It's also a medium where quality really does have an impact on learning. It's a catch-22 - no one likes to invest much money when trying out a new medium, so it's smarter to play with cheaper brands. This works well enough for oil paint, watercolor and colored pencils, but for oil pastels it can lead to frustration. They crumble, don't blend well, and can make you wonder why anyone would bother with such a crappy medium. :lol:

@SquarePeg: Sharon, you're too critical of yourself! I think that mountain landscape is lovely. I'm loving all that golden yellow in the water.

Thanks @terri I appreciate the support! It's hard not to see the flaws especially when you do a tutorial and compare it to the original. They make it look so effortless, and it's hard to tell with watercolor if the issues I have are related to my inability to follow the technique or the cheaper paper I'm using. I hate to buy expensive paper for learning but my paper and paints don't seem to react the way the tutorials say they will. May have to just close my eyes and buy a pad of Arches paper.

I hate to buy expensive paper for learning but my paper and paints don't seem to react the way the tutorials say they will. May have to just close my eyes and buy a pad of Arches paper.
I hear you! Some of the tutorials I followed when I got started were actually geared towards kids, which was fine by me. :icon_mrgreen: Oil pastels are popular for kid art classes because they look like crayons, but kids can (truthfully) be told they're things artists use, too. And the instructor used cheap colored construction paper, so I was able to take that part out of the equation, at least. Other tutorials were not particularly forthcoming about paper types or brands used, but it sure can make a difference!

Either way, my stuff generally sucked compared to the tutorial, regardless of the audience level. When I trusted my handling better, I let myself get better materials - and wow! Can't say that helped my technique, because that's just practice - but it sure did let me move along better, and things just seemed smoother and easier.

So, most of you know that I have back issues that ebb and flow in the pain level, and keep me from hiking around with my camera gear like I used to. :icon_mad: Over the summer it's gotten worse, so I finally went back to see my spine guy (not the chiropractor), who ordered a new round of x-rays. He tells me the scoliosis has gotten worse, and showed me side by side x-rays. It was both freaky and depressing to see it onscreen - so objective, just sitting there being scoliosis. He lectured me on exercise (bite me, brother - I'm a 200-hour certified yoga instructor, I know the moves), and then we discussed treatment. :76:

Anyway, I came home upset and ticked off. Found myself a couple hours later with my sketch pad in front of me, and drew this:

Demon rising sketch.jpg

That's my pain demon - in control of me. My husband said it was a dark and depressing sketch - I thanked him. :icon_mrgreen: Went ahead and re-sketched it on Arches oil paper and made an oil pastel painting from it:

Demon rising.jpg

The first time I addressed my so-called pain demon, it was a couple years ago in this painting:

Back Pain 1.jpg

And just recently, I did this one, modifying the demon a little bit for a more geometric interpretation. I've stood and painted while my back is killing me and wondered if it ever showed, so I tried to express the correlation in this one.

Back pain 2 final.jpg

I've read about recurring subjects in artist paintings, or symbols. Without really thinking about it, I seem to have developed this theme of the pain demon popping up and getting me to paint it. Bastard. :lol:

I think I'll paint some flowers next.

I’m finding that while I like my charcoal pencils, they don’t last long at all. This comic summed it up perfectly.

500DA73F-D934-493B-9DC2-4CAFAE5194B8.jpeg

Login • Instagram

Sorry to hear the demon is strong (soft virtual hugs) but I love the drawing. That makes me think of the PNW native styles, a little. They frequently use additional faces to fill empty spaces.

That sucks Terri. So sorry you’re in pain. Your paintings are stunning and really tap into emotions.

Sorry to hear the demon is strong (soft virtual hugs) but I love the drawing. That makes me think of the PNW native styles, a little. They frequently use additional faces to fill empty spaces.
Well, how cool is that? I never heard of that, but haven't looked at that much art from that region. Now I'll have to do some exploring!

Another artist who used faces and lots of other symbolism is Marc Chagall - I adore his stuff. Picasso and other artists did, as well, it's just not something I've done much of, but I'm trying to figure it out.

Thanks for the virtual hug. The demon rises occasionally and yells his ugly head off, but I usually find a way to beat him back into submission. :)

Playing around with some snow.

From a tutorial and from a photo
D2961999-CD48-4045-B988-AE1A9F6AA24F.jpeg

13731885-1188-4ECC-8389-F986F31D7BE0.jpeg

What are you using for the snow, gauche? I really like these two.

I took the small sketch pads and WC pencils on the trip trip and did a quick sketch from the hotel lobby. I'll add some color after I get the beast unloaded and returned.

What are you using for the snow, gauche? I really like these two.

I took the small sketch pads and WC pencils on the trip trip and did a quick sketch from the hotel lobby. I'll add some color after I get the beast unloaded and returned.

Yes white gauche. I don’t have the skill or the patience to mask out the highlights first or keep them paint free. Plus, splattering the snow on at the end is the fun part and it hides a myriad of flaws! I may become a theme artist and paint only snowy landscapes lol.

I don’t have the skill or the patience to mask out the highlights first or keep them paint free.
Same, same. I usually remember to leave them paint free, and then forget later on and fill them in. D’oh!

Most reactions

Back