Pastels and Watercolors (and a few other art media)

So cute!! Great idea, and great job. Your recipients are going to love them.

The sky is in, though I may go back and lighten it up, and I started the green: trees, shrubs and grass. The odd looking spot at lower-right is a patch of paint that is still wet.

IMG_E1574[1].JPG

Coming right along. I like your sky color, a nice deep blue. It's fun watching you build this painting - thanks for sharing your wip photos!

After many many winter snow scene tutorials, I tried a few compositions of my own combining the salt technique with wet on wet for the backgrounds and using Dr PH Martin’s bleed proof white for the snow on the trees. I like the bleedproof white more than the white guauche as it can be watered down a bit for splattering but doesn’t lose its bright white tone.

feedback or suggestions welcome!

0781CE56-6470-4ECA-B483-E80157AC2068.jpeg
0BEB6F5C-11D0-4762-9AF4-620021F6B848.jpeg

The salt worked out great.

They make me cold just looking at them, so that makes them a screaming success! :lol: Terrific palette. I just love how you integrated the salt technique here - very effective as a background.

"Dr PH Martin’s bleed proof white" - is this a kind of dense, opaque watercolor, or is it more like an ink? I've never heard of this stuff.

Here's my latest - I wanted to do another B&W painting, I had fun with it last time. I had a rather famous photo ref for this one. ;)

This is on 12x16" Arches oil paper, my favorite for OP's. I took my Neopastel silver gray stick about down to a nub here. Hard to photograph this one without some glare, but that seems to happen with OP's. I see some smudging to clean up, too.

"Grand piano"

Grand piano, revised final.jpg

Stunning work terri! Beautifully done.

Beautiful, Terri.

The bridge acrylic is almost done. As often happens, I switched up on what I wanted to do with it. Part being lazy, I didn't want to get into all the lines from the mortar on the stone bridge, so I'm going to keep it very loose. I will still try to suggest that it is stone, but not to the detail of the real thing.

Finally had a bit of time to use the new inks that Princess gave me for Christmas. I ended up not liking what I started doing and then I added white and blended and went n a different direction. I was using the cheapest paper I had to practice and you can really tell on this first one - it not only buckled quite a bit but it ripped when I removed my tape. Thoughts on these?

08C802A8-CC57-4696-9C71-F7EE02034FD9.jpeg
0819704D-37CC-4FAB-95A2-E260724FE203.jpeg

I like them.

Waves can be tough, but I think you did well! I do see the paper buckling - hate having to use cheap stuff, but sometimes it's the more prudent choice.

I like them! Without seeing what you were doing when you decided to make changes, I can only say they turned out nicely. Lots of movement in the water. Did you take any WIP (work in progress) photos for these?

I’m back to the snowy landscapes. This one is from a tutorial by Ellen Crimi-Trent

2C779363-3B61-45D8-881C-EFC8730B4F96.jpeg

And this is from a photo on Instagram.
95B5901E-93B9-4E86-AA2A-1F54EE2B6AF7.jpeg

I have to say I used the expensive Arches paper on these and it really does make things go so much better and easier to fix mistakes.

The better quality materials do make a difference.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back