Pastels and Watercolors (and a few other art media)

Discussion in 'The Creative Corner' started by snowbear, Jan 10, 2020.

1. snowbear

snowbear Oh, hai. I iz bear. Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Here's a (relatively) quick exercise. Let's make it a challenge for any new folks and lurkers that say they "can't draw."
    Three shapes: a cone, a cube and a sphere. The idea is to draw them in a way that they show dimension and light/dark values. I'm using a 4B pencil which is rather soft so the lines show up. Use what you have. I just drew these; I'd recommend using real objects if you are just starting out - a small paper or ice cream cone, a block, and a small ball.

1. Rough Outline. Just that - draw the outline of the shapes you want to use. It doesn't have to be perfect or look like a mechanical drawing. The idea is to get some shapes on paper.

2. Highlights and defining the 3-D shape. We're photographers, so: I am placing my key light at camera right and lightly above the scene (over my right shoulder). The highlights for each of these shaped should look something like this. My toning is really darker than it should be on the cone, but you get the idea .

3. Shadows. The shadow from a single light source will have a shape something like that of the object. We also know that the shadow will point away from the light source, so it shoots out to rear-left. Mine are probably not exact but if you use real objects (a paper cone, a block, a small ball), you can get a better feel for it.

4. Final drawing, without the outline. I redrew this without the heavy outline. You can do as well with drawing the outline very lightly - just dark enough to see it. Again, the idea is to draw something or try something new.

Let's see your results.

IMG_1503[1].JPG

Bonus exercise.
    I had to do this in art class. It helps you see how areas on and object relate when folded.
    1. Draw a grid on a piece of paper. You don't have to measured and use a straight edge but the straighter the lines are and the more evenly spaced, the better. It is actually a little better if you make every third or fourth line a different color, like red or hot pink.

IMG_E1504[1].JPG

2. Crumple up the paper and draw that puppy. What you are looking for is how the lines appear when the paper is folded over.
    IMG_1506[1].JPG

• Like Like x 3
  2. Vtec44

Vtec44 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Time lapse from my last drawing...

• Like Like x 2
  3. SquarePeg

SquarePeg hear me roar Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Stole this off Facebook. 3DE06E57-1376-40FE-B4AE-41E095237AE9.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That is hilarious! Mine always waffle the most between "Mistake" and "Not as envisioned." :lol: This is followed by "Could do better." Hey, if I end up with a color palette that I like, then I figure I'm ahead!

Just like with photography, we're always our own harshest critics.

5. terri

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've done similar exercises with the geometrical shapes, and shading. But I've been wondering about the "bonus exercise." You're supposed to sketch out the crumpled paper and just follow the bent-up lines that you get from your crumpled grid? Is it to train the eye on the bent lines, or are you shading the crumpled paper, too?

6. snowbear

Photos OK to edit
    The main object is to work on the folds and creases; the lines help visualize what's happening with the paper. Shading, if you want, but the spatial relationships (the I go with work stuff) are key.

Going to Office Depot tonight and look through paper & other art-type stuff. This store closing as part of their restructuring.

• Like Like x 1
  7. limr

limr Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hosers! So, Buzz was driving a week or so ago, and he saw a sewing machine table that was left out at the end of a driveway with a "Free" sign, so he snagged it for me. His idea was to turn it into a bar, which is a fine idea, of course. However, I have plans for it to be my art table. There's space below to keep supplies and then the leaf comes up for work space when I am actively working on something, and folds down when I'm not. And, I can still keep a bottle of vodka next to my brushes ;) It's perfect - art AND bar! Heck, I can even use it to actually sew since I do have a machine. I just have to learn how to use it :lol:

• Like Like x 2
  8. terri

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Oh helz yeah! That's a great idea.

I have a 1968 Singer machine. After my mom stood by and helped me through the basics (which made me nervous, since she's the kind of person who can make herself a new shirt in an hour), I staggered through several "easy" patterns by myself. It's pretty intuitive, just give yourself time and space to get into it.

The instruction manual is my favorite part, kinda like old Kodak books. :lol:

• Like Like x 2
  9. waday

waday Do one thing every day that scares you Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    My wife has been after a craft space for some time, and we actually grabbed an old Singer and table that someone was selling several years ago. Thank you for the awesome idea!

• Like Like x 1
  10. waday

waday Do one thing every day that scares you Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Started this tonight. Please tell me you know who this is (from the second picture)...

813B75E3-BADD-4D0A-A1D2-656C12BF8F9C.jpeg

And after 30 minutes...

6DC5BB18-4AF1-4769-BE96-093FDFCE71BF.jpeg

11. limr

limr Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Kinda looks like Hugh Laurie?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. snowbear