Pastels and Watercolors (and a few other art media)

Keep in mind that style has a LOT to do with it. There are a lot more ways to represent a given subject compared to photography. We also tend to be our worst critics. These are practice pieces, or for your own enjoyment, correct? You learn from these, then, when you think you've really got it, you work on the 24x36 sheet of cold press.

Well! Respectfully, I disagree! ;) I totally understand wanting actual C&C, just as with photography, in order to get what you may be able to improve on, based on what is perceived as a "mistake."

BUT - I don't see these as having any major flaws UNLESS you were looking at a reference photo or image, or following a tutorial and your end results look way different than what was expected. In that regard, I can't say anything because I never saw a ref image - and besides, based on their own merit, they really do look fine to me.

One of the stems is straight up, and the other is on a diagonal. If you were trying to show your viewers some wind, you might want that curve. Otherwise, usually stems with such lightweight things as tiny dandelion seeds will pretty much go straight. I just didn't detect an unreal view.

It might be a large subject for the paper size and, now that you're pointing it out, I do see where, instead of letting the line of the tree branches go straight off the page, creating an imaginary line of extension, you did crowd them, or some of them, and in a few areas the blooms look a little squished. A few areas - not all. Overall, it's no different than seeing a full-frame image with the subject going from end to end. So, visually it just didn't bother me. The colors are light and pretty, the shape of the tree is good. I agree you didn't add any blue for shadow under the tree or make any other light-directional mark - but, so what? This looks like a drawing not trying to be based in realism, and I come across paintings like this all the time that don't try to represent light source.

So - again, from casual looking I still say these are very pretty. I like your dandelions and the flowers, your sky palette is also lovely, and without comparison to any ref image, I don't have a lot of negative critique. C&C doesn't HAVE to mean negative all the time. ;)

Anyway - hope this helps. I don't work in WC at all, and couldn't address the issues of opacity or how to back off or add more if you paid me. :lol:
I appreciate you! Really I wasn’t blasting you all for not giving me cc. Sorry if it came off that way. Was just not happy with any of those efforts at all and was unhappy with me for not doing better. This will likely come as no big surprise to you… I’m not very good at not being good at stuff.

You did very well, Sharon, despite what you think. Some of your work makes me feel like mine only belongs on the fridge.

We’ll as some of you know I can’t drive right now following surgery and I can’t go out shooting and I’ve run through all of Netflix so I’ve been painting up a storm! Still obsessed with trees. This doesn’t quite match my vision but it’s close. I only have a few nits to pick with this one terri lol.

07B4BF1B-A5C7-4983-AB9A-46581480BB9C.jpeg

Blizzard!

Personally, I'm not in the "splatter" classroom, but I think it really works, here.

I love it! The blue depicts the cold, the tree is nicely bent in the wind, and the blowing snow is great!

Kinda looks like what's starting to happen right outside the bedroom window. 😲

Blizzard!

Personally, I'm not in the "splatter" classroom, but I think it really works, here.
Thanks! I enjoy the texture that the splattering gives to watercolor.
I love it! The blue depicts the cold, the tree is nicely bent in the wind, and the blowing snow is great!

Kinda looks like what's starting to happen right outside the bedroom window. 😲
Thanks. Are you expecting a storm? How do you like being back in MI?

Are you expecting a storm? How do you like being back in MI?
The storm has come and gone, left around 5-8" around. We're mostly in the 5" area. It's beautiful, fluffy snow. Roads are already salted/scraped. Hubby can hardly wrap his head around the efficiency. He bought enough food for a week-long shutdown - I didn't bother to talk him out of it. :lol: It's been cold, but also mild, so typical weather - I'm enjoying it very much.

We had more snow yesterday. Just under a foot! Because I’m still recovering from surgery I wasn’t allowed to help with snow removal 😉. Painted this last night. My take on a mash up of a couple of tutorials. I added the reference photo from the tutorial that I used for the foreground. I’m not thrilled with how the sky came out.

A3270989-1A3D-4168-A264-C124D430D0BB.jpeg

FE54D1EC-47C9-489E-8137-4F009C2EE884.jpeg

Nice! You keep reminding me of the salt technique. :)

I like that you decided to go a different route with the sky, and give it those rays. Really loving those blues, too.

Nice! You keep reminding me of the salt technique. :)

I like that you decided to go a different route with the sky, and give it those rays. Really loving those blues, too.
Thanks Terri. I love the salt for winter landscapes. The tutorial used a dry brush technique for the blue water.

Latest winter landscape from another tutorial and some flowers of my own.

I had to cover my trees with snow because they were awful. But there are some pieces of this that I really like.
52F2EA6E-DABB-4231-8487-E09C03BA3FEF.jpeg

This one I need a do over. My sketch wasn’t great to start then I added the leaves which I am still terrible at. I like the grasses at the bottom and the background though. Did some negative painting to highlight the flowers. Learned a lot from this one.
1117C58D-15C0-4056-B95E-E311A4320251.jpeg

Most reactions

Back