Pastels and Watercolors (and a few other art media)

Walmrt - I love it! Though I think an Amazon truck would be more appropriate for 2020.
True! But it wouldn't have been as good a replacement for the Gothic window as the Walmart building.

Maybe they were doing a sidewalk pickup. :1247:

Here are some recent ones that I never got around to posting here.

This first one was from a challenge to "modernize" a famous painting that you feel strongly about, either positively or negatively. After flipping through some art books and going online, I discovered I detest this iconic American painting, American Gothic by Grant Wood, c. 1930. The man's assertive gaze is contrasted by the averted gaze and vaguely troubled countenance of the woman. Wood meant for the viewer to know this was supposed to be the man's daughter, though I've also seen her referred to as his wife. Either way, she stands behind him and stares at the back of his head. Slap him silly! :lol:

I changed everything to bring it to modern day. I could never paint with Wood's stylized realism; he's terrific. So I stuck with a "folk art" approach that doesn't ask much from the artist. It was important to me to reverse the stances; the hubby here is a step behind his wife. It was also important to have a person of color in this modernized couple, and she was easier for me to sketch, frankly.

Instead of the barn with the actual Carpenter's Gothic window behind them, I envisioned these two doing typical 21st century couples' stuff: a Saturday run to the local WalMart. The logo and store design suited the background, and I gave the hubby a rake, and the wife a near-hero's stance.

I'm kind of sad I couldn't execute this one better, because I like my concept. :icon_mrgreen: Oh well.

American Gothic, Redux:

View attachment 205550

Another one I came across (I put them all aside to eventually spray with a UV matte finish, and sometimes forget about them), was my attempt to play with a Picasso-inspired dual-face. Kind of a profile, kind of not, and any palette suits. I also liked practicing with the flowers. Just playin'.

These were both on my fave paper, Arches Oil paper, 12x16". Mungyo Gallery and Neopastel oil pastels.

View attachment 205551

awesome! Love the updated take on a classic. So creative!

Oops, somehow I missed this until now - thanks for the kind words, @SquarePeg! :)

It's a fun challenge - worst part is just finding a good painting to give you an idea.

Oops, somehow I missed this until now - thanks for the kind words, @SquarePeg! :)

It's a fun challenge - worst part is just finding a good painting to give you an idea.

I have been pretty uninspired to paint since the holidays. It's been a busy time here with Princess applying to colleges and college visits and end of senior year tasks plus I had my cousin visiting for a bit. I miss the escape from the chaos that is my favorite thing about painting. I finally gave it a go the other night with a tutorial. Really crappy results but I do like the subject and am planning to try again soon.

Oops forgot the proof of my quest for not quite even mediocrity.

4039CCA4-76D0-4923-85E2-4D809386E411.jpeg

I screwed up the perspective on the sketch which led to one issue after another. Lesson learned I need to slow down. I was rushing because this was supposed to be wet on wet and I could tell my paper was drying out.

Yeah, I see perspective lines there. Have the tutorials ever suggested using a grid or a ruler to help lay down some lines before you pick up the brush? I'd be lost without it! Especially since you're at a table, it's really hard to step away and check.

But these colors are awesome!! I love the purple rows, especially with that yellowy-tan. That, and those greens, it's really pretty.

Hope you give it another shot. :)

I was rushing because this was supposed to be wet on wet and I could tell my paper was drying out.
Try a small spray bottle with a fairly narrow pattern.

I was rushing because this was supposed to be wet on wet and I could tell my paper was drying out.
Try a small spray bottle with a fairly narrow pattern.

I gave this one another shot tonight. I’m calling this latest version muddled mess. I think I improved the sketch and perspective but I didn’t let it dry enough between some of the layers. And when I sprayed the paper (before reading your tip so not blaming you) it made it worse. Maybe the mist wasn’t fine enough. Anyway - I need to fix that shadow by the hut and maybe try to punch up the color again. And less white detail in the lavender. I think the first one I posted the iPhone may have idealized the colors as they appear a lot darker in the pic than on the canvas. Here’s #2.

448E37C5-ABBA-440C-BF3F-63947B29F5CE.jpeg

I really like this one

I really like this one

Thanks! I appreciate the positive feedback. I didn’t mean to be so negative about it. It’s definitely an improvement from the first attempt but it has different issues lol.

This is a good version! An improvement, but I agree the colors are less vibrant than the first one. It's a pretty scene.

I am not a watercolor artist, so the technical process escapes me.

I’ve decided to take an entire book and draw pictures of my daughter’s favorite characters.
Did a full book full of characters.. here’s a selection. I’m really liking the markers. These are all mostly markers, with some pen and pencil here and there.

12B64DDD-DE08-4285-B020-5AFB4080247C.jpeg
708C6F91-1B3D-40D2-BAF1-BD1B67F3368E.jpeg
B32C8B7E-D464-447E-A298-83E43EEE2575.jpeg
B3279DA8-C82B-4BE3-925D-15A209283B06.jpeg
8343DE78-2044-4715-8A61-A81203429D9F.jpeg
C1A49855-A3C9-4B63-9063-A3D0C6E073C4.jpeg

I have a question for you watercolor enthusiasts. Can anyone recommend a good brand for metallic ones? I bought a cheap set ( about $15 ) at Hobby Lobby and tried them on an embossed card front I did. I really like the way it turned out. Looks very vintage ( 30’s or 40’s ), especially when coupled with distressed lightweight paper inside. I think I will do all our Christmas cards like this for this year. I would only need red, green, black, yellow and white for the one scene and thought tubes of paint might be the way to go? Any ideas or experience with metallics?

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back