Pastels and Watercolors (and a few other art media)

I haven't tried ant metallic or pearlescent watercolors, but I've seen them listed. Daniel Smith (I got some regular WC but haven't had the chance to use them) has what they call Minerals which, I think, has a sheen to them. I found this, but haven't had a chance to read it, though there is mention of making your own out of eye shadow. This might be the best thing. I remember a metallic wax that could be used for "antiquing" things but pretty much only came in metal colors - silver, gold, copper, bronze. Also check with Arteza - they only se;ll their own brand and most seems to be student quality, but that mat be fine for what you want.
Metallic Watercolor Showdown! Comparing lots of brands!

I don't see much in acrylics but you could add glitter to the paint if there isn't a metallic medium. I do have a bottle of metallic gold acrylic ink (brand is FW, carried at Blick). The problem with that is you have to keep stirring or shaking it - the metal flake settles to the bottom fairly quickly. I have seen fountain pen or calligraphy inks that are metallic, but I suspect the same thing happens.

I have both tubes and pans and I think it's a toss-up. Tubes a re good for doing a lot of work at home or in a studio where pans are best for plein air, when you don't want to mess with tubes. I actually got a set of empty pans and a holder, and poured in some older tube paints I had to make a set of pans (when I got the Smiths).

IMG_1700[1].JPG

Last edited:
Thanks! Interestingly enough, Daniel Smith is my grandfather's name:) It seems the brand I bought ( Prima ) gets a decent review from the website you give. It doesn't say, but I am certain mica is the chief ingredient they have in them, which is what eyeshadow uses if one were to make their own. Don't think glitter would be something that I would like, so I may just use what I have and keep an eye open for tubes. Thanks for your input! I knew you guys would have some thoughts, and I certainly appreciate them!

The ones I have are actual metallic colors like silver, gold and copper. I really like them. They were a cheap impulse buy at Michael’s. I don’t have the packaging with the name any longer unfortunately. They are much more subtle when water is added I definitely prefer tubes if I’m mixing my own colors, pans if I have the exact colors I want
A7BA2724-7FFA-4887-A94C-917843490DA5.jpeg

Haven't painted in ages. Now that the heat is here and I can't get out to hike as often, I will be home at night with my ac and my paints!

Finally picked up a paintbrush. Tried a couple of different ideas for painting hydrangeas. I think the softer ones are my favorites. I have a full painting in m9nd but need to decide loose or detailed, soft or vibrant…
B1CE7FE9-C56F-4F8A-A58A-26CF4B5816AC.jpeg
F58C4B39-F822-4587-AE65-4A8449C62A50.jpeg
6F42620F-0F56-48D0-940D-FADD1B3D333D.jpeg
3F8100DC-0008-47C3-908E-308A0F46FA28.jpeg
E580D16B-2528-4168-B1A2-A8BA5B3ABF1A.jpeg

I missed these before! Very nice. I also like the softer ones, but then you did a good job with the details on the second one, which is a little tighter.

Hydrangeas sure will give you a beautiful palette to work from. Hard to argue with all these blues and purples!

From the look of it, you had a lot of fun with these. Can't wait to see the full blown painting. Maybe do one of each style?

I missed these before! Very nice. I also like the softer ones, but then you did a good job with the details on the second one, which is a little tighter.

Hydrangeas sure will give you a beautiful palette to work from. Hard to argue with all these blues and purples!

From the look of it, you had a lot of fun with these. Can't wait to see the full blown painting. Maybe do one of each style?
Thanks Terri, I appreciate your input! I’m leaning toward the first technique which is a bit too messy looking when sun a this size this but I think will look good smaller as part of a landscape scene. Got to practice a few more times and start my sketches for my larger piece. Will try to remember to take some WIP snaps as I go. It felt good to do something creative that wasn’t photography- I’ve been out shooting a lot lately and starting to feel like I might be burning out.

There's a lot of depth in the first one. I also like the last two.

Get to Doodlewash - a bunch of giveaways for International Watercolor Month (July).

Doodlewash? Is that a website or a store? Never heard of it

A miniature of my planned hydrangeas painting. I need to really get my drawing right to start out with or I’ll end up with this mess and of course it will be bigger so flowers will have actual petals…. I think I’m going to change the colors more toward blue than pink…

ED95FA89-782D-4DD9-9E7F-CAB31F4F2E25.jpeg

Most reactions

Back