Paul C Buff Gear

412 Burgh

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.zacharydiberadin.me
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey quick question for those familiar with Paul C Buff and his lighting equipment. I have an Alienbee B800 with a vegabond mini II that I use. I told my parents for christmas gifts I would like a CyberSync Transmitter, and a CyberSync Receiver to use for my Alienbee. Let's say I get another B800 shortly and want to use the same set up. I have worked with two before and I know they trigger one another. So my question is if I pick up another one, do I need another receiver? Or is it going to fire off of the IR sensors? I believe it has?

How about just the optical slave that is built in? Just flip that to "ON", and the second flash will trip when it sees the flash burst from the receiver-connected primary unit.

unless you have the two strobes connected somehow via the pc cable, you need another receiver. Seriously though, I am never a fan of the the CyberSync. I hate the design of the transmitter. You put it on your hotshoe. That means you cant have a flash on your camera. If you do, you have to connect the transmitter to your cam via cable and let the transmitter hang or stick it with velcro. I use phottix strato II to trigger mine.

unless you have the two strobes connected somehow via the pc cable, you need another receiver. Seriously though, I am never a fan of the the CyberSync. I hate the design of the transmitter. You put it on your hotshoe. That means you cant have a flash on your camera. If you do, you have to connect the transmitter to your cam via cable and let the transmitter hang or stick it with velcro. I use phottix strato II to trigger mine.

What do you mean, "you need another receiver"???? Why?

As the Buff website mentions, "The B800 arrives with a sync cord allowing you to connect your camera to the unit to trigger the flash. The unit additionally has a built-in slave tripper to allow wireless firing."

Ergo...there is absolutely no need for a second receiver...

Thanks Derrel and Robin! I figured I would only need 1. Robin I will have to look into your triggers. I just don't have a PC Cord on my D7000 unfortunately.

As the Buff website mentions, "The B800 arrives with a sync cord allowing you to connect your camera to the unit to trigger the flash. The unit additionally has a built-in slave tripper to allow wireless firing."

Derrel, I know it comes with a sync cord. I didnt know he wants to shoot it with a cord. I thought he wants to be wireless.

Derrel, I know it comes with a sync cord. I didnt know he wants to shoot it with a cord. I thought he wants to be wireless.

No indeed I do want to be wireless, my D7000 doesn't have a jack for the PC Cord

He does. That's why he's asking about the built in optical slave

I need to RTFM i guess. Just got AB1600 and was not aware of triggering other AB unit capability. I will let you know when I get home. That would be sweet if it can.

my D7000 doesn't have a jack for the PC Cord

You could purchase an AS-15 sync terminal adapter.

I have one and that's how I trigger my B800 right now. I just want to be wireless. But I was also wondering if the optical slave on the potential second unit will work.

from the FAQ. Thanks for making me aware of this... gosh... I should have read the manual.

Q: What will trip the built-in slave tripper?
A: The built-in slave tripper in each flash unit is designed to sense flashes of light and fire the unit simultaneously. The tripper is sensitive to both visible and infrared flashes of light. Any light flash that it “sees” can trigger it, including the flash from another unit in your setup, a conventional on-camera flash (and its pre-flash), and/or an infrared remote transmitter. Although this gives you more options for triggering the lights in your setup, the presence of extraneous triggers must be considered when you are not the only photographer in the area. Other photographers' flash units, on-camera flashes (whether on professional or even disposable cameras), and infrared remote controls can inadvertently trip your flash units.

When you are the only photographer in a specific shooting environment, the built-in slave tripper on each unit eliminates excess wiring in your setup. You can use multiple flash units and hardwire just one unit to your camera. Your camera’s sync circuit will fire the hardwired flash, and the built-in slave cell on each of your other units will fire the remaining units simultaneously.

If you are shooting in an environment where other photographers are using flash units, you will need to disengage the built-in slave tripper in your flash units. On generation one Paul C. Buff™ flash units (AlienBees™ flash units, White Lightning™ flash units and Zeus™ systems), the slave tripper is disengaged whenever a sync cord or dummy plug is inserted into the sync jack. On Einstein™ flash units, the slave eye is engaged or disabled using the Adjust arrows when the Slave Eye Status Screen is highlighted. Disengaging the built-in slave tripper will prevent your flash units from being tripped by other flashes. To fire multiple units without using the slave trippers, you can use our CyberSync™ remote system, our SS1 Sync Hardwire Kit, or our LG4X Wired Remote Control.

Anyway.. maybe canon speedlites prior to the 600RTs are POS or what. I never have much luck with optical slave. Sometimes I am too far or too hard to trigger it when I bounce the main light. Maybe the Alien Bees are better. I really want to know how good it is if you do an outdoor shoot in the open. Will one AB really trigger the other AB? Especially if the AB connected to the radio trigger isnt really pointed toward the other AB?

Anyway.. maybe canon speedlites prior to the 600RTs are POS or what. I never have much luck with optical slave. Sometimes I am too far or too hard to trigger it when I bounce the main light. Maybe the Alien Bees are better. I really want to know how good it is if you do an outdoor shoot in the open. Will one AB really trigger the other AB? Especially if the AB connected to the radio trigger isnt really pointed toward the other AB?

Hopefully I will be able to tell you within the next 3 months.. Gotta get past the holidays and buy my books for next semester! Then I'll save for another B800 and modifier

You have to have all TTL enabled strobes for the Canon ones to work, they don't have a manual optical slave like the older Nikon SBs. Plus, depending on where you're working LOS issues and possible issues of the ambient over powering the flash and "confusing" the eye will stop a light from triggering. That should mainly only be an issue where you're working in huge rooms with lights very far apart or outside in noon day sun.

Additionally, an optical slave is a pretty standard feature on most larger strobes. I've never owned or used a monolight or pack and head system that didnt' have an optical slave...actually, scratch that, the old Speeodtron Blackline packs I used to own may not have had a slave built in to the pack. They were probably from the stone age though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back