TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.thinhlephotos.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
2891505494_7c0d47f33d.jpg

A rare footless goose ?

what a noble looking goose. monarch worthy! :)

Okay, seriously, I couldn't help the quick trip back to my childhood but all-in-all, I think a little separation of the subject and the background would be good. Maybe a little space under the feet, too? The pic seems sharp enough on my screen but I am a noob so take this with a grain of salt!

haha yeah i didnt spend much time on taking this photo because when ever i get closer to the goose and get the right angle for it, it would fly or run away. but luckily there was like a lot of them around.

I don't think I'm ever gonna find a picture where a goose is the only subject interesting, sorry!

It looks to me like there was sawgrass or a lake behind/above the goose, when shooting a picture of a single subject, try to work in an interesting but not distracting background. I would suggest laying down on your stomach, I know, not easy, and then often times you can inch closer without disturbing the subject, plus you get an interesting vantage point. I had the same problem with this iguana in my parents backyard, to make it more interesting, I needed something in the background other than grass. I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but I'm going post an example of an iguana I shot in my parents backyard. I think this vantage point makes the shot more interesting. Next time when the geese are out running around, mix it up alittle bit, and try different vantage points to help make the photo more interesting...Lastly, a wider aperture creates the DoF so that the background and foreground are blurry and the subject is in focus. For this I used a 200mm lense @ 200mm and an aperture of f5.6 and manually focused in on the iguana. I am a total noob and am learning as well. There is a great beginners guide to Depth of Field in the September 2008 issue of Digital SLR photography. It has helped me tremendously to understand aperture. Hope this helps...

Iguana-ToneMapped-Cropped-Leveled-l.jpg

Last edited:
Sadly a very common bird and not a terribly interesting shot of one. If you have a subject like this that's super common, it's cool to try for really funky things with it... drastic close-ups, funny angles, interesting lighting, etc.

BTW, looks like your colors may be just a HAIR off and you may not have quite nailed the focus... can't tell exactly, but something is amiss.

Overall a good exposure, though.

I like the lighting and the simple background, I think it would be better if you had a crop with it closer to the right side of the image. Manaheim is right in that it's a pretty common bird though, so feel free to expirament. (I do know how you fee about the goose not cooperating for you. I recently had a nasty encounter with an uncooperative caterpillar...)

haha yaeh, thanks for the tips guys it really made me happy. im gonna take you guy's advice next time on a animal. also im going to lay down and get those shallow depth of feild affect like the person with the iguana. i love that shot

haha yaeh, thanks for the tips guys it really made me happy. im gonna take you guy's advice next time on a animal. also im going to lay down and get those shallow depth of feild affect like the person with the iguana. i love that shot

one thing I forgot to mention...

geese...

dangerous! :lol:

might wanna be reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally careful when you lay down next to one. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back