Pelicans in Indiana!?

DLeeT

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Yup, the American White Pelican passes through the American Midwest on their annual migration. Unfortunately, none would fly my way. Darn! Lee

1 $DSC04733 copy.jpg

2 $DSC04735.jpg

3 $DSC04773.jpg

4 $DSC04768 copy.jpg

5 $DSC04746.jpg

6 $DSC04783.jpg

Those are coots in the background.

I always forget how big they are until I see them again. Too bad they didn't fly your way is right but I like the lighting on them.

I always forget how big they are until I see them again. Too bad they didn't fly your way is right but I like the lighting on them.

Darn birds -- not a one would give me a decent flyby! :wink: And, yes BIG bird. Here's a bit of info on them:

The American White Pelican rivals the Trumpeter Swan as the longest bird native to North America. Both very large and plump, it has an overall length is about 50–70 in (130–180 cm), courtesy of the huge beak which measures 11.3–15.2 in (290–390 mm) in males and 10.3–14.2 in (260–360 mm) in females. It has a wingspan of about 95–120 in (240–300 cm).[SUP][/SUP] The species also has the second largest average wingspan of any North American bird, after the California Condor. Body weight can range between 9.2 and 30 lb (4.2 and 13.6 kg),[SUP][/SUP] although typically these birds average between 11 and 20 lb (5.0 and 9.1 kg).

I love watching pelicans take off. Its like watching an old b17 lumbering down the runway. You'd swear its never going to make it off the ground but somehow it does. Great series Lee.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

I had no idea those things flew north !!!!

I wish to see a pelican in the wild.Nice capture.

Oh yes, as far north as Manitoba!

"The American white pelican breeds in isolated areas from Manitoba, Canada and Minnesota west to northern California. The American white pelican migrates to its winter grounds in early fall. It winters in California, Mexico, Central America, along the Gulf Coast and in Florida."

Very nice , Lee. There is a huge rookerie on an island in Last Mountain Lake, Saskatchewan. hundreds, possibly thousands summer and breed there each year. I have been planning a trip back there for a few years, but life keeps getting in the way. Oh well, someday.

Hope you can make it soon, Brian. They're beautiful birds and fun to shoot. Lee

We get them in north central Washington State as well, along the Columbia River. Very cool to see.

Heck that would be more than we get in the entire country Lee, maybe a 100th of those. We get very few that do fly over from Aussie now and again and only further up the north island. This would be a dream to see Lee. Great to see a flock like this, in fact unbelievable from down here. Wonderful in flight shots and what a sight !!!

All the best Lee and good timing in there. Excellent.

Danny.

Very cool! I had no idea they migrated North!

It was pure blind luck. I had no idea they migrated north either, but I happened to visit a wildlife refuge where I had never been before and there they were! A knowledgeable birder told me all about them. I guess even an old dog gets the bone once in a while! :wink: Lee

Is there hope they'll pass through Michigan??? PLEASE??? There's usually a couple hanging around Starved Rock State Park in Illinois

Most reactions

Back