Pentax lenses & DSLR

benjyman345

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hi,

I currently have a pentax film slr with sigma lenses and was wondering whether these lenses will work with a pentax DSRL? Would they need an adaptor and would it be worth it?

BTW My film SLR is a Pentax MZ 50 (I think equivalent to the MX50?)

Thanks

They will work. I shoot a mix K-mount and M42 screwmount manual lenses.

IN regard to the K-mount, I had to do the following:

All my old lenses work Both K and KA even though the camera sepecifically mentions only KA and KAF. There are few settings that got the manual k-mounts without the "A" setting on the aperture work. 1) "AE-L on M expr" needs to be set to 2 to allow the "AE-L" button function as the stop-down metering in aperture priority. 2) "Use Aperture ring" has to be set to 2 to allow you to use lenses even though they are not set in the "A" setting. 3) Move the switch from "AF" to "M" or else the camera will try to focus prior to letting you trip the shutter. 4) The camera has to be set to full "M" manual mode. Once you set 1 and 2, you can leave it that way even though you switching between AF lenses and Manual K-mounts. Once all set, you basically focus, set your aperture via the lens ring, hit AE-L (stops down and sets shutter), and then press the shutter.

For M42 with an adapter, there is no auto stop down. You'll have to manually stop down.

FYI... My camera is actually a Samsung GX-1L which is the twin of the Pentax *ist DL2. Differences between models might exist.

Forgot one more thing....

The DSLRs usually have dimmer viewfinders that make it a little more difficult to focus manually. On the other hand, the high end K10D and K20D have much better viewfinders (penta-prism instead of penta-mirror) and should be better than the lower end models for manual focus. The better viewfinder is part of the added cost/entrance fee to the higher end Pentax bodies.

Is it worth it? Well that depends on your current lenses... doesn't it. As for AF Pentax lenses... they to are compatible.

Most reactions

Back