People photography outdoors

SnappingShark

Always learning.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just helping my wife get some shots for her business and she wants something outside of my usual realm of street / vacay pics.

She wants some candid & fun shots of mothers/children in the local park (with permission).
The premise is "having fun" - so I will be using my Canon DSLR with 70-200mm lens.

Any tips? Shoot with the sun behind you, keep backgrounds clutter free etc, try to incorporate color and shoot wide open? Is that about right?

I typically shoot with the sun in front of me, but that's just how I shoot. :) I guess in this case, context and expressions are important so I'd assume you'll try to incorporate that.

Use flash for fill and balance if your subjects are back lit.
If possible use open shade - subjects in the shade, you and the camera out in the direct sunlight.
You don't need a light modifier for the flash as long as you don't use full power.

I only rarely use a flash unit on the camera hot shoe in that type of shooting situation.
If I can't set up lights on light stands myself or an assistant hand hold the flash unit.
What power you might use depends on the GN number of your flash unit and the aperture you use.

Any tips?
schedule enough time with each group to become acquainted before the shoot. This is especially important with children so they will eventually learn to ignore the camera.

If your wife is assisting, have her plan some activities so the subjects don't have to invent it on their own. Take some "activity stuff" with you, such as balloons, balls, bubbles, sandbox toys, etc.

Try to get your subjects to ignore what you're doing, and just have fun. Give positioning instructions to the adults, noting where the children are already. Keep your groups tightly together. Keep both eyes open so you can watch out for interlopers in the background.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back