Pet Peeves

People who post in the wrong section... for example in a section reserved for "...more advanced discussion of photography, such as exposure methods, lighting, and other techniques and controls!", people discuss topics not even related to photography... like childish pet peeves. ;)

:lmao::thumbup: you beat me to it

I waited... and waited... and waited... you were late... lol

gsgary

JerryPH

KvnO

roadkill

I fall upon my knees at the altar of your knowledge and experience and I beg your forgiveness for upsetting the delicate balance and decorum that are "The Photoforum."

Let me check with the judges....

Yes, it is acceptable, but ONLY if you are keeping your left arm close to your chest and your thumb is on the left side of the lens as if you are making a "u" or "cup" shape with your hand. If your left arm is away from your body and you are making a "c" shape with your left hand (with your thumb on the bottom of your lens), then YES, that would be a pet peeve of mine, and you should be shot at dawn. At minimum, I'll release the hounds.

:lol: Wow.

My pet peeve would be something to the extent of how people that think just because I have a nice quality camera that it takes WONDERFUL and magnificent photos. But in reality, it's not the camera, but the guy behind it.

Totally agree on this one. Drives me nuts. "Wow you take great pictures, I need to get a camera like that." :lol: Gee, thanks. :)

Some others...

People with no photographic clue telling me what would make a great picture. I mean, whatever, I know they're trying to be nice, but come on...

People who buy lesser DSLRs because the "big one" is either "too big" or "too much camera". That drives me buggy.

People who say "It's not the camera, it's the photographer!" It's a not-entirely-untrue statement, but oversimplifies things as is insanely cliche and often defensively stated by people who run lesser bodies. (sorry, everyone!) :)

People who have more than 5 pet peeves. Those people really tick me off. I mean seriously... where do you people get off?

I hate when people have pep peeves for stupid things..

1) "Wow, your camera takes great pictures!"
2) Or "Wow, those pics really came out well!" .. implying it was all luck.
3) The terms "togs" and "brollies"
4) Forum threads which don't have a descriptive title, you have to open them to find out you're not interested in that thread.
5) Dead batteries
6) Ken Rockwell
7) My SB600 which stopped working after being dropped from 3 feet.
8) Snobby photographers
9) The prices of photography gear. Seriously, $1700 USD for a Nikkor 24-70 f2.8?
10) Flickr discussion groups which offer no way of tracking activity in a given thread.

I have a lot more, but thinking about everything that pisses me off is getting depressing! :D

My pet peeve is everyone taking the "rule of Thirds" so seriously! I cringe every time I read a response to someone's photo and they are told this nice shot, is too centered. Not ALL shots look good following the rule of thirds. Take a look through some photo books, especially by wildlife, and landscape photographers and take notice as to how many of their "Great" shots are not always following the "rule" of thirds. Rules are made to be broken - even in good photography, and I just wish that sometimes people would remember that. Thats my pet peeve.
People do forget that photography is as much, if not more, art than science.

Knowing the rule of thirds has helped me ... but I shoot it the way I think it looks best.

LWW

My pet peeve is someone who buys a Leica but never learns how to properly focus and expose.

Somebody who buys a Nikon D3X but never bothers to learn what white balance is.

I never have cared for cottage cheese either ... and whassupwiddatshiite? It's not made in a cottage and there's no cheese in it.

LWW

forgetting to check settings before I press the shutter!
-- because you were shooting something different before.
That has been so me lately. At least I remember after I took the picture and was able to take another. ;)

A pet peeve of mine is people taking pictures of the photographer and thinking it's hilarious. We get this frequently at weddings. What are they going to do with a picture of a photographer who isn't a guest and nobody really knows all that well? Oh well, I guess they can waste the shot if they want to.

I don't understand the thinking it's hilarious part. However, I know I would want a picture of my photographer. You're the person behind making the couple have beautiful memories of their wedding. I would want a picture of my photographer for my scrap book or wedding book to remember that if it wasn't for you and your skills, these memories wouldn't be captured for a lifetime. Not to mention you capture memories that the bride and groom would otherwise miss. I see it as a compliment. :heart:

My pet peeve is everyone taking the "rule of Thirds" so seriously! I cringe every time I read a response to someone's photo and they are told this nice shot, is too centered. Not ALL shots look good following the rule of thirds. Take a look through some photo books, especially by wildlife, and landscape photographers and take notice as to how many of their "Great" shots are not always following the "rule" of thirds. Rules are made to be broken - even in good photography, and I just wish that sometimes people would remember that. Thats my pet peeve.
I really need to read this, but have almost always shot pictures with things centered. Growing up with a point and shoot...that's all I knew and still do. I'm trying to improve and remember that not everything should be centered, but that's all I read about.

My pet peeve is when my family members tell me what would be a good picture.

This is funny because my 14 year old son, when he's bored, always ask can we go out riding around and taking pictures. He's actually came up with several great ideas and he's always on the look out for something cool. If it wasn't for him, I would have never been able to get the pictures of the storm that rolled through here and the rainbow. He's always keeping an eye out for neat things for me that I would have otherwise missed. Thank goodness for my little man. :hug::

Well, in our defense, I'll say that since I actually bought the entry-level DSLR and the entry-level prime, I'm only "mostly clueless" about exposure instead of "totally clueless." Maybe in a couple weeks I'll improve to "pretty clueless." :lol:
Iconcheers.gif

Amen! I laughed when I read this...it is soooooo me. :lol:

When people try to rate your camera by the MP.
I just flip when someone says how many MP is your camera.

People wearing expensive watches and jewelry driving expensive cars yet have the audacity to look at me with disdain for spending so much money on a cameras.

i've thought of another one... its people who try to sell cameras (used) through sites like kijiji, craigslist and ebay, but they are trying to get the same price they paid for the camera 5 years ago when they bought it bran new...

i've thought of another one... its people who try to sell cameras (used) through sites like kijiji, craigslist and ebay, but they are trying to get the same price they paid for the camera 5 years ago when they bought it bran new...

... and on a similar note, listings for expensive photo gear with crappy, blurry photos of said gear. :p

My pet peeve would be something to the extent of how people that think just because I have a nice quality camera that it takes WONDERFUL and magnificent photos. But in reality, it's not the camera, but the guy behind it.

I just encountered this. I posted some of my gymnastics pics on a LSU message board that I frequent, and this was a reply:

Camara took some good pics

:banghead: :lol: :banghead:

That same camera took some REALLY AWFUL pics (Can I blame the bad ones on the camera?).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back