Pet Peeves

My single biggest pet peeve is people who buy a nice expensive $1000+ DSLR and not only just shoot it in auto mode, but they simply don't care to learn any of the other modes. I know someone like this who fancies themselves a photographer. I've talked with them several times about how learning the ins and outs of exposure and photographic theory would help them have more creative control over their shots, and they literally just told me that they didn't care, that auto mode worked well enough for them.

Seriously... Why invest so much money in such a nice camera only to WILLINGLY remain ignorant of what the camera can do for you? Drives me crazy.

OK - thought of another one - pictures of kids that would be OK, if it weren't for their snotty nose.

I'm a parent - I understand, snot happens - but for god's sake people, if you're going to point a camera at your kid, take a second to wipe their nose first.:drool:

OK - thought of another one - pictures of kids that would be OK, if it weren't for their snotty nose.

I'm a parent - I understand, snot happens - but for god's sake people, if you're going to point a camera at your kid, take a second to wipe their nose first.:drool:
Shhh! There's some female photo buffs on here that find that sort of thing cute. It must be a gal thing.:lol:

My single biggest pet peeve is people who buy a nice expensive $1000+ DSLR and not only just shoot it in auto mode, but they simply don't care to learn any of the other modes.

Why drive a Ferrari if you don't have access to a race track? <just playing devil's advocate>

i've thought of another one... its people who try to sell cameras (used) through sites like kijiji, craigslist and ebay, but they are trying to get the same price they paid for the camera 5 years ago when they bought it bran new...

i recently saw a guy trying to sell a canon 40d for $1500, just for the body

My single biggest pet peeve is people who buy a nice expensive $1000+ DSLR and not only just shoot it in auto mode, but they simply don't care to learn any of the other modes. I know someone like this who fancies themselves a photographer. I've talked with them several times about how learning the ins and outs of exposure and photographic theory would help them have more creative control over their shots, and they literally just told me that they didn't care, that auto mode worked well enough for them.

Seriously... Why invest so much money in such a nice camera only to WILLINGLY remain ignorant of what the camera can do for you? Drives me crazy.
It's not the fact that someone doesn't care to learn something about cameras that bother me. I have a friend who bought a camera the same time as me. His was a $1500 kit full of Canon XTi and several lenses (bought through a bait and switch Ebay site) and mine is a Fuji superzoom. I've spent the past year learning all about aperture, shutter, ISO, etc even though I know I am quite limited with my camera. I use it in full manual mode while he uses his XTi and $1500 worth of other stuff in full auto. He doesn't need to learn anything because his does it "fully automatic" exactly quoting him. I ask about what if he wanted to use fill flash, "Full auto! It does the flash automatically" he says.

I get a bit impatient when I hear SO MUCH concern about gear (the brightest lens and all that) but hear little to no concern about lighting. I don't mean simply enough light for proper exposure, but rather the quality, direction and placement of light. What's the light doing? Is that what I want? What do I do to change it? And so on. It's what we do. We record light. SO much concern about the recorder, and not so much about the light.

But I've heard SO much of this, I've gone from being peeved, to being baffled, then sad, and finally settling on, "Oh well."

-Pete

lenses with cheap plastic mounting rings that break if you sneeze too hard

AhajdkjAhhhhhhh
it drives me nuts when i go walking with my family and friends and they try to tell me what to photograph. "Grayson, look over there you should get a picture of that palm tree", or "get a picture of that but do it so and so way" gughgughguhguhguhg.

you cant force art

i hate it

end RANT

:))

people who buy dslr and shoot in auto mode

people who think there 100 dollar point and shoot is good because it has 20 megapixels when the lens and sensor would make a better difference

people who spend 3k on a camera and 200 bucks on a lens, it should be the opposite

hdr

i can't stand it when my sister in law says "oh look, that's a great shot! kelly, where is your $18,000 camera you just had to have?!?". it's so condecending and i just want to fly off the handle when she says it.

My pet peeve is having my camera set up on a tripod in my den/family room (cause I had family over for a birthday and wanted to practice some portraits) and hearing "thumping" coming from that room.

I go in there and my 16 yr old son and my neice's husband are WRESTILNG on the floor. Like - for real - wrestling!! Take downs, legs flying around - the works... I'm like "GAAAHH!!! NOT IN HERE!!!!"

i've thought of another one... its people who try to sell cameras (used) through sites like kijiji, craigslist and ebay, but they are trying to get the same price they paid for the camera 5 years ago when they bought it bran new...

Completely 100% agree with you Chris that bugs the crap out of me.....

People trying to use the pop up flashes 300 ft from the subject.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back