phone call

Would you answer?

• Sure, why not?

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Never.

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • I would answer, because it could be my ex brother-in-law.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not to mention that a current spammer technique is to use the local area code for their robo call phone number.
This has to be one of the most annoying and frustrating aspects. They spoof local numbers. Your own number may be used by them to scam others.

Then you start getting calls from potential victims who say, "I got a call from this number...."

I don't understand the technology that allows the caller to spoof locations. Maybe 10% of the calls indicate they are calling from right here in my own town. Other calls may be from anywhere in Iowa to all across the country.

I usually just hit the "mute" button and let it go silent. I figure if it is someone who I actually know, they will leave a message.

Does anyone know how to curtail these annoying calls?

I don't understand the technology that allows the caller to spoof locations. Maybe 10% of the calls indicate they are calling from right here in my own town. Other calls may be from anywhere in Iowa to all across the country.

I usually just hit the "mute" button and let it go silent. I figure if it is someone who I actually know, they will leave a message.

Does anyone know how to curtail these annoying calls?

The technology is easy to understand. It's a service provided by the phone companies, and they profit from it's use.

As for curtail, we all know the DNC list isn't effective. I use the app Hiya, which alerts me to many calls that have been reported as spam or scams. If I don't recognize the number, I answer the call but don't say anything. If it's a robocall, or I hear the boiler-room in the background, I just hang up. If it's a genuine customer calling me, they'll realize the call has been answered and respond appropriately.

From a friend who retired from AT&T, he claimed the reason the scammers were hard to catch is that the equipment required can easily fit in a suitcase. The scammers rent hotel/motel rooms to set up in, and when they get a hit it transfers the number somewhere else. After a day they move.

AT&T provides us free of charge NOMORROBO. Probably 99% effective at stopping all robo calls. They have an app for cell that's $1.99/no that also works well

Good information! I should investigate further. Thanks.

I forgot to mention that our landline VOIP via Uverse. According to the website the service is free for any VOIP landline now. Stop robocalls and telemarketers with Nomorobo

Any time you get a robo call the phone gives one short ring to signal that it blocked the call. At first we were getting several notifications, but those have gradually dropped. I'm thinking maybe something signals the robo callers that they won't get through and causes our number to be dropped from their lists

I get so many spam calls that I no longer answer any unknown number. If it’s important, they’ll leave a message.
business owner, must answer all calls.

Answer call, but say nothing. If you hear nothing, it's a robocaller waiting for "Hello?". Otherwise, you can hear the boiler-room operation in the background.

*click*.

If it's a genuine customer, they'll say something.

What do you mean by boiler-room? I've read that before but not sure what it means??

I have to always answer calls in case its a potential customer, but I get a lot of silent calls, or those annoying automated ones. If its a silent one, I usually cross check the number on https://scam-numbers.co.uk/ to see if its safe to call back or not. Sometimes it looks like an English number but then when I call back I get charged alot, especially numbers beginning with 09.

I get so many spam calls that I no longer answer any unknown number. If it’s important, they’ll leave a message.

Answer call, but say nothing. If you hear nothing, it's a robocaller waiting for "Hello?". Otherwise, you can hear the boiler-room operation in the background.

*click*.

What do you mean by boiler-room? I've read that before but not sure what it means??

I have to always answer calls in case its a potential customer, but I get a lot of silent calls, or those annoying automated ones. If its a silent one, I usually cross check the number on https://scam-numbers.co.uk/ to see if its safe to call back or not. Sometimes it looks like an English number but then when I call back I get charged alot, especially numbers beginning with 09.

Boiler room - a call center operation where a group of sales people using high pressure sales tactics call lists of potential customers.

As to Robo calls here in the states many of the landline services now offer blocking services that stop them from coming through. There's also hardware devices that you can plug inline

For business, PBX or VOIP cloud systems with switchboard capability is probably your best option.

Last edited:

*click*.

Boiler room - a call center operation where a group of sales people using high pressure sales tactics call lists of potential customers.

As to Robo calls here in the states many of the landline services now offer blocking services that stop them from coming through. There's also hardware devices that you can plug inline These are the 20 most important cameras of the decade (and one phone)

For business, PBX or VOIP cloud systems with switchboard capability is probably your best option.

Ah! Thank you, makes sense!

Hi all here in UK we are getting a lot of spam calls claiming to be amazom
When first moved to house we kept having calls for the past owner who had died.
Ended up telling callers to ask for pergtory exchange.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back