Photo Albums

McPhareson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm trying to find a really special album to keep my favorite shots in, and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. There are some beautiful leather photo albums from Powell, but I've never heard of them. They seem to be mostly custom. Any tips?:D

Welcome to the forum.

Where are you located? There are good album suppliers all over the world...but unless you are looking for something very specific, it's probably best to order from somewhere local (or at least in the same country).

Most of the album companies that I've looked into, sell only to pro photographers/studios...but there are many that will sell to the general public as well.

Are you looking for a custom designed & printed album, or something more simple?

Most of the album companies that I've looked into, sell only to pro photographers/studios..

Because of the order size or they don't like money? :lol:

I'm actually looking for some good albums as well and don't want to gamble over at E-bay.

well, partially order size, and partially because photographers mark up their prices and it's generally not ideal for the consumer to know what the photographer paid for the item straight up. If a consumer sees that I am buying an album for 500 it makes it nearly impossible to sell it for 2000 even though all of the effort in creating the album, and my hard work has gone into it.

This is one reason I don't use mpix for order fulfillment, because then everyone could know the exact amount I pay for a specific item, and they would know the markup.

Photographers try to sell the art, and the experience. They are not just selling the book. By not allowing consumers to buy the book straight from them the album company is preserving that experience. Once the consumer is aware of the cost to the photographer etc. It can easily become a consumer purchase rather than an art purchase.

The experience.... :lol:

OP: check out Mpix.com... Real nice stuff, very good company.

Thanks for explaining that Nate now it makes perfect sense. For my day job I deal with companies that will not sell directly to consumers or they will loose my business so I can respect the album people only selling directly to pros.

I just went to the website, and gave them a call. The guy there was really helpful, and told me that they do sell to individuals. They build each book on an individual basis, you should check out their custom and personalized photo albums. I just ordered a 12 x 12 album with my initials monogrammed on the front. I can't wait to see how it turns out.:lol:

I had a look at mpix web site, but that really isn't the style that I was looking for. I like the more traditional stuff. Thanks for the tip!

This is one reason I don't use mpix for order fulfillment, because then everyone could know the exact amount I pay for a specific item, and they would know the markup.

Photographers try to sell the art, and the experience. They are not just selling the book. By not allowing consumers to buy the book straight from them the album company is preserving that experience. Once the consumer is aware of the cost to the photographer etc. It can easily become a consumer purchase rather than an art purchase.

Nate- you should check out MpixPro.com. Same company as Mpix, but more products and unpublished prices. You will get the same 24 hour turnaround time too!

I never heard about MPIX pro...sweet...I just emailed them so I can join...I had been using MPIX but I love the extended product line im seeing ;-)

Most reactions

Back