photo edditing, I need help!

dandlion

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Im a total noob when it comes to pretty much allthings photography, but especially with edditing. im looking for a book that would help me with the technical stuff as well as the artistic part of edditing. so do you guys have any suggestions? also any books on photography in general that i should read? any suggestions you could give would be greatly appreciated thank!

ps im really excited about this site because i need all the help i can get with my new hobby

There are a milllion or more books on each topic (or at least it seems like there are). For editing, you really should buy books specific to the application(s) you are using for editing, in other words, if you're using Corel PaintShop Pro, then there's not much point in buying a book based on Adobe's Photoshop Elements.

For books on general photography, there are so many that IMO, the best thing to do is head down to a big book store, and look at what's on the shelf and choose one(s) you like. Petersen's 'Understanding Exposure' is frequently recommended. While I'm not a huge fan of it myself, it does cover the basics of exposure reasonably well.

Advanced amateur and professional photographers strive at getting a photo as close to the desired finished photo in the camera as possible, rather than relying on editing.
Each edit has a cost. The cost is some reduction in image quality (IQ). How much IQ is reduced depends on the bit depth of the photo and how extensive the edit is.

In the tutorials Ysarex linked you to is a group called Photo Editing Tutorials. The first tutorial in that group discusses bit depth and how bit depth related to editing.

Books on editing tend to be software application specific.

GIMP.org and Photoscape.org are online open source applications that you can download at no charge.
GIMP 2.6 for Photographers: Image Editing with Open Source Software

Adobe Systems makes what is generally considered the industry standard professional grade image editing software.
Adobe also has a much less expensive consumer version - Adobe Photoshop Elements 11
The Photoshop Elements 11 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices That Matter)

Corel also makes image editing software - PaintShop Pro X5
Im not awrae of any books about PSP 5.

Here is a list of books related to doing photography:

Scott Kelby's Digital Photography Boxed Set, Parts 1, 2, 3, and 4
Digital Photography Masterclass
Digital Photography Essentials
Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera

Bryan Peterson's Understanding Composition Field Guide: How to See and Photograph Images with Impact
Learning to See Creatively: Design, Color & Composition in Photography (Updated Edition)
Beyond Portraiture: Creative People Photography
The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos
The Photographer's Mind: Creative Thinking for Better Digital Photos
The Photographer's Vision: Understanding and Appreciating Great Photography

On-Camera Flash Techniques for Digital Wedding and Portrait Photography
Off-Camera Flash Techniques for Digital Photographers

Light Science and Magic. 4th Edition - An Introduction to Photographic Lighting
Light It, Shoot It, Retouch It: Learn Step by Step How to Go from Empty Studio to Finished Image (Voices That Matter)
Photographic Lighting Equipment: A Comprehensive Guide for Digital Photographers
Minimalist Lighting: Professional Techniques for Studio Photography
Minimalist Lighting: Professional Techniques for Location Photography
Posing for Portrait Photography: A Head-to-Toe Guide for Digital Photographers
Doug Box's Guide to Posing for Portrait Photographers

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Just make sure you are doing something fun :)
Also, when someone doesn't like your photo, it does NOT mean it's bad. People are naturally critics, and tend to judge negatively.
Enjoy your new Hobby! I'm a beginner, too.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back