Photo Editing Programs

STICKMAN

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok well with being new to all this and getting ready to drop my first big dollar purchase for a DSLR. I was wondering what is out there photo editing wise besides photoshop? Are there any decent low coast or free ones available? I have seen some on downloads.com but am always afraid to go with one with out hearing some real advice first. I just can't swing the new camera, lens, & photoshop all at once.

Thanks,

Between Photoshop Elements mainly for driving Photoshop plug-ins and DxO, I'm pretty much set for far less than a copy of Photoshop. If you have Windows, Paint Shop Pro is an outstanding low cost alternative to Photoshop that does 90% of what PS does including drive plug-ins at a fraction of the cost too. GIMP is FREE (open source) but quirky and buggy, but better than nothing if you're on a budget. :)

i use Paint Shop Pro X2 cause at ,my skill level I just can't justify spending 400+ on a program that I am almost clueless about.

I like it, i have posted images on here that I edited with it and no one has said anything, so...

All cameras come with software, some of them even come with pretty good software like Photoshop Elements. You might want to wait till you get your camera before making any decisions.

Mike What do you think of Zoom browser and the other software that comes with canons?

I have Photoshop CS but I use the canon to turn to raw.

asfixiate said:
Mike What do you think of Zoom browser and the other software that comes with canons?

I have Photoshop CS but I use the canon to turn to raw.

I have Zoom browser but never use it after I got Adobe Bridge. I didn't see much use for it because I can organize all my pictures and tranfser pictures to PS just faster than I could with ZB. I just got the Digital Photography Pro (are whatever you call it for editing the raw shots that came with my Canon 40D) and I use that to convert my raw shots and transfer them to PS.

i use Paint Shop Pro X2 cause at ,my skill level I just can't justify spending 400+ on a program that I am almost clueless about.

I like it, i have posted images on here that I edited with it and no one has said anything, so...

I agree, Paint Shop Pro has always been a decent photo editing tool. Its WAY less expensive than Photoshop, it has its own plug-ins, and it can use most Photoshop plug-ins. Its a very good cheap alternative. I used it for many years until I finally made the jump to Photoshop.

That would be regarding a Windows based PC. Mac might have better software to offer.

How is Paint Shop Pro priced compared to Adobe Photoshop Elements 6.0... I know that you can get E6.0 for $100

agree, Paint Shop Pro has always been a decent photo editing tool. Its WAY less expensive than Photoshop

I think I paid like $70 off of Amazon right around christmas. I see it for a hundred all the time...

Paint Shop Pro x2 is currently $64.99 on amazon.com

Or the previous version of Paint Shop Pro x1 $29.95

Adobe Photoshop Elements 6.0. is $74.99 on amazon.com

Most reactions

Back