Photo Editing Software

NicoleMundt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Looking for good photo editing software! I have been using picnic but they are going to be closing! Anybody have any ideas on new software?

If you're serious about it, you should look into investing in photoshop.

I just bought lightening and cs5 yesterday! I'm a teacher so I got both for $300. You can also get that deal if you're a student, or have kids in school I believe.

False. That really grates my cheese.

Photoshop is always thrown around as the cure to the problem of needing to edit photos. For 90% of users, Lightroom or Aperture will suffice. And for those 10% that need more, there's other options besides Photoshop.

GIMP, Corel, Pixelmator, to name a few.

I have been using Aperture 3 for about five weeks now and love it. It is a fantastic program that does everything I need to do with raw or JPEG so far.

Photoshop is always thrown around as the cure to the problem of needing to edit photos. For 90% of users, Lightroom or Aperture will suffice. And for those 10% that need more, there's other options besides Photoshop.

don't let other people's software choice "grate your cheese," photoshop might not be necessary for normal processing but when you get into advanced stuff, graphic design and editing, it is still IMO way more capable than any other options that I've seen. It DEFINITELY has it's uses and I'm pretty sure your estimation that 100% of users shouldn't use it is pretty far off base.

I didn't mean to grate anyone's cheese. I don't even like cheese. :)

And I don't recall saying he couldn't do well without it, just that it was something to look into. Who knew recommending photoshop on a photography site would raise someone's hackles. lol

Another option to consider is Photoshop Elements. It has many (but not all) of the features of full-blown Photoshop with a much lower price.

Agree.

Most of the time, a photo just need cropping, curve/level, sharpening and saturation adjustment which do not require Photoshop.

Agree.

Most of the time, a photo just need cropping, curve/level, sharpening and saturation adjustment which do not require Photoshop.

True, true - for most people, especially those getting into image editing or making a lateral move and not upgrading to something where advanced features are needed.

Here's my 2 cents :)

When it comes to all equipment, I think it's best to start at entry level (in this case, low cost or free). Once (if) you've outgrown your equipment, invest in an upgrade (PS or whatever). Same can be said for cameras, light setups, glass, etc.

I wonder if you're aware there are 4 different versions of Photoshop offered currently, and that member didn't specify any of the 4.

whispers: after the free trial purchase STUDENT COPY OF LIGHTROOM/CS5 and you're done.

There is no Student Edition of CS5. The Student Edition is limited to CS5 Extended, but students get 80% off the CS5 Extended price of $999.

Lightroom 4 will be released in March, and CS6 is also due about the same time.

Most reactions

Back