Photo ideas with a fast[er] lens

Hum ... kind of interesting. Personally, I think it should be the other way around. For example, you like to take a photo with the desire effect and find out that a different lens can help. So you purchase the lens to complete the task. Instead of buy a tool and look for a way to use it afterward.

Kinda like a solution looking for a problem....lol So, (to the OP) make it the only lens you use for a while, shoot everything with it and see what it does. Then you will know how to use it.

Wow, this seems like a lot of fuss. To the OP. It's a lens. The focal length is 50mm. The max aperture is f1.8. Having an f1.8 lens only comes into play when you need that faster aperture for low light situations or the need for a very shallow DOF. You don't have to shoot it and in all probablity shouldn't shoot with it on most occasions wide open.

Here are my personal recommendations for using your lens.
1. When a 50mm focal length will allow you to get the shot you need. If you need a wider lens use a wide or ultra wide. If you need reach use a longer telephoto.
2. If you need a very shallow DOF.
3. If you need to be able to keep a shutter speed up to a certain level or if you need to keep your ISO at a lower level. This will generally, but not always, invlove low light or the capture of action.

DoF...........Back in the day before all this new fangled auto focus, all lenses had a DoF range scale right on the lens itself. You manually focused on your subject and then looked at the scale to see how far in front of and behind of your primary point of focus everything else would be in acceptable focus for the given f/stop. Everybody understood what they were doing as it was right in front of you.

You have bought a great lens. Just go out and start shooting!:)
It is excellent for low light - so you can try some night photography.
Also it will give you sharp images with great bokeh - you can try experimenting with bokeh.

Hey folks,
I have a Canon T2i and I got the 50 mm / f1.8 canon lens. Does anyone have any suggestions for shots to try with this lens? Something that will help me get the most out of this lens. What is a good fast lens good for? (Beyond blurring out BGs in portraits etc...)

Hey folks,
I have a Canon T2i and I got the 50 mm / f1.8 canon lens. Does anyone have any suggestions for shots to try with this lens? Something that will help me get the most out of this lens. What is a good fast lens good for? (Beyond blurring out BGs in portraits etc...)

the 50mm 1.8 is a "go to" lens. You can shoot anything and everything with this lens. It's STELLAR for portraits. However, I do everything from landscapes to automobiles with mine :)

Most reactions

Back