Photo printers...

rmh159

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I think I've just been volunteered to find a new photo printer for a Christmas gift. Personally, I don't print shots at home so my printer isn't used it for and I have no idea where to start. I know to look for higher DPI but I've also heard those stats can be inflated by the manufacturer. Does anyone have any recommendations? It is a gift idea so I'm looking for the highest quality for lowest price (maybe $100 - $200 range).

Speaking from personal experience, I highly recommend the HP printers. They have a wide selection of photo printers in your price range. I own an old Inkjet 5500 that produces beautiful images using the photo cartridge. Go to your local Office Max and take a look. I say O.F. because they seem to have the best selection. Good luck on your search!

I would ignore the price of the printer and look at the price of the ink carts. You will spend way, way, way more on those over time than the printer. Way, way, way, way more.

A good point...While it is true you will spend a considerable amount of money on cartridges, there is a way to save. Buy refill kits at half the cost of the cartridges, and they work!

Don't go by the max print resolution. When you print that fine your just wasting ink. I rarely print more that 600ppi!

I have had 3 epsons over the last 7 years. I only bought newer versions, not had one fail. I still have my 2nd one and just bought some no name ink for it to save money on just every day snap shots. I can print at home 4x6 for about .10 a print with it.

Their stylus 800 gets good reviews. But not sure on the price range. I now use a 2400 (1270 is the older one that just keeps going :) .

Cool thanks for the advice. Yeah I know the ink is where they make the money but since it's a gift... I'll let the recipient enjoy that cost. :)

Thanks though... I'll price out those printers.

I like the Canon IP series. Separate cartridges for Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black for photos and Black for text, so no waste. Not having extra colours as well means I'm not always buying cartridges and quality doesn't appear to suffer. And the transparent cartridges means I can see how much ink is actually left.

As for the replacement cartridges, I'm sure there are some good ones but I've used some really terrible ones, and I can usually find genuine Canon ones at a good price.

Put me down for an Epson also.

Here's why I say that, and it's not because the quality is the best. There are several brands in that price range which will do a very fine job.

My reason is because of an Epson 700i (I think) which did have a problem. It died on a Friday. I called their CS line and they overnighted a replacement for Saturday delivery. I would have been impressed by Monday delivery.

Bad stuff sometimes happens even to good stuff. I can't say that other brands would have treated me any worse or not...but they couldn't have handled it any better.

LWW

benhasajeep said:
Don't go by the max print resolution. When you print that fine your just wasting ink. I rarely print more that 600ppi!

I have had 3 epsons over the last 7 years. I only bought newer versions, not had one fail. I still have my 2nd one and just bought some no name ink for it to save money on just every day snap shots. I can print at home 4x6 for about .10 a print with it.

Their stylus 800 gets good reviews. But not sure on the price range. I now use a 2400 (1270 is the older one that just keeps going :) .

Agree!!!! I own an Epson photo printer and I love it. As long as you buy the correct photo paper to go in it you will have beautiful photos without having to wait for them.

One more thing, mine cost $130 6 months ago.

Most reactions

Back