Photo-shoot at Noon

Here are some photos. I was not composing at this time. I was just working on the flash

6771427653_b090533c31_z.jpg
f4 50mm on a DX

6771427135_34db8523f5_z.jpg
f3.5 35mm on a DX

6771429565_07e8491214_z.jpg
f4 35mm on a DX

6771428551_47124cd093_z.jpg
f4 35MM on a DX

on 3 and 4 i think I got somewhat a better flash because I was closer to her.

No Flash

6771011991_04e2d5435f_z.jpg
f4 50mm on a DX

You can see i'm all over the place, First time shooting at high sun time. I will go again today in a few hours.

I'm not sure if the photos are even posting... LOL

Thanks

Last edited:
Here are some photos. I was not composing at this time. I was just working on the flash

No Flash

You can see i'm all over the place, First time shooting at high sun time. I will go again today in a few hours.

I'm not sure if the photos are even posting... LOL

Thanks

I can not see your photos?

I read somewhere here that i put th slink in between [ img] and [ /img] with no space.

I have to do some more research

Ok it should work now.

Thanks

Last edited:
When shooting without the flash let the background completely go and use the largest f-stop you can (and still get a nice sharp photo...sometimes limited by lens choice) to blur the background, expose for her face....but you want the background to be uniform and not distracting as much as possible.

These look like you are getting plenty of flash power for fill....in fact to much in these examples.

If you want to use flash as your main light at midday you need more power.

When setting up your shots....think background First. Then place your subject into the frame.
Your want your subject to be brighter than your background typically....on these midday shots that is sometimes not possible so you need to keep the exposure on her face nice and bright and completely blow the background with a nice blur to it.
When shooting blown backgrounds...shooting in raw helps because you can bring it back a bit....if shooting in jpeg use your d-lighting to even out the exposure.

It would be better if You left your EXIF info intact in the images you post( don't use save for the web, just use save as)

In 3 & 4 your background is over exposed, but without knowing your EXIF hard to see why

I will try to upload them again in a couple of minutes.

These look like you are getting plenty of flash power for fill....in fact to much in these examples.
I feel that she is underexposed in 1 and 2, may be it's what you said and feels like I'm looking for the flash to be my main light? I've seen photos where the back ground looks expose like 1 and 2 but the subject its way brighter than here (what in my mind would seem like a right exposure on the subject)

Thanks

Last edited:
It would be better if You left your EXIF info intact in the images you post( don't use save for the web, just use save as)

In 3 & 4 your background is over exposed, but without knowing your EXIF hard to see why

I changed the photos, may be it works now? Thanks!!

#1 you have her in speckled light from the sun filtering through the trees. This is bad as it will create harsh shadows and hotspots on the subject.

#2 You seem to have moved her which fixed this, but now your key light is the on-camera light which is creating the typical on-camera flash look (hard shadow under the chin and overall very flat) and she is underexposed. Let the ambient do it's job and let the background blow out. It's better to properly expose her and blow the background than underexpose her and have a well exposed background. It's going to take a large amount of light to properly expose her and still have the background slightly underexposed as you have it here.

#3 More natural because you are using more ambient even though she is a bit overexposed from the combination of ambient and flash. The ambient seems almost even with the flash. The sunlight coming off her hair looks very nice and had you shot this much tighter on her face, this would be an ok shot as the exposure could be adjusted in raw conversion. Take off about a stop or so of fill and it would be even better.

#4 Kind of the same problem here except now key light has shifted back to the on-camera flash and the ambient has become the fill (shadows are caused by the brightest light, so the hard shadow under the chin indicates your flash was brighter than ambient).

Lighting issues aside, pay more attention to background. Get rid of the cars, the red poles, strong lines in the parking lots, etc.... get in closer/tighter with a longer focal length to crop these things out and focus on the eyes.

Thanks!!. I will print out all this and take it with me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back