Photo shoot of my newborn... CC please!

splproductions

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been "taking pictures" for a long time, but it's mostly just been point-and-shoot and then trying to touch them up in Photoshop. I just got a Sigma 50mm 1.4 and a Speedlight for my Canon 500D, and I actually took the time to figure out what I'm doing. So this is my first "real" photo shoot. Please let me know what I need to work on.

On both of these I had natural light coming in through kitchen windows on the right, and I was bouncing the flash off to the left (about 45 degrees up) into the kitchen.

I did a custom WB with an 18% gray card before shooting, so I didn't think I needed to change the WB much. I did change the temperature a bit on the first one. In ACR, I upped the exposure, brought up the Blacks just a tad, put just a hair of Clarity on it, a Medium Contrast tone curve, some Sharpening, and the Vignetting. In Photoshop I ran the Portraiture plug-in and reduced the opacity to around 40% and took the warmth to -7. Other than fixing a few blemishes those were the only additional edits.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Here are the before and after:

Trace_Photo_1_SOOC_.jpg

Trace_Web1_.jpg

Trace_Photo_2_SOOC_.jpg

Trace_2_Web_.jpg

I removed some of the green tint that I for some reason put in the first one. It matches the original grey wall now.

C&C per req:
1/2: To be honest, I'm not overly fond of this one. The composition seems rather awkward with the foreground being very out of focus (OOF). I think a 'top-down' shot focusing on the head & shoulders would have been a better choice. You did a job on the lighting, but they seem somewhat over-exposed with blown or nearly blown highlights in the foreground.

3/4: A classic newborn pose (Note, for future reference, please number your images) with #3 having a better exposure and WB. The feet seem slightly soft to me; for poses like this ensure that your depth of field (DoF) is sufficient to ensure sharp focus on the whole subject.

Overall, they're not bad. I would spend some time searching 'newborne photography' for more pose/composition ideas. When shooting with large white/bright areas in the scene, I like to leave my rear LCD set to display highlights (The 'blinkies') so that I know right away if my exposure needs any tweaking.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

C&C per req:
You did a job on the lighting, but they seem somewhat over-exposed with blown or nearly blown highlights in the foreground.

... with #3 having a better exposure and WB. ...

...When shooting with large white/bright areas in the scene, I like to leave my rear LCD set to display highlights (The 'blinkies') so that I know right away if my exposure needs any tweaking.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

Hi John,

When I was shooting, I turned on the "blinkies" and was watching out for that, and I think they were 99% clear. But in ACR when I adjusted the exposure, I thought it was OK to blow out the highlights as long as it's not on your subject. I guess I'm just trying to mimic what I see in pro photos, where it seems "awash in white", and I don't know how else to do that other than bump the exposure up. So fill me in... is blowing out the highlights bad?

Another question... I don't quite trust myself yet on manual focus, so I was toggling my auto-focus to whatever red-dot area would be closest to his eyes. But sometimes there wasn't an auto-focus spot in the right area, so I would auto-focus on his eye, and then move the camera to the right position to frame the photo. Is that bad? (I'm guessing so). What do I do in those situations? Or do I just need to learn how to manual focus?

Ahhh, post-production blown highlights. Okay fair enough. It's not that bad, but remember that the eye is naturally drawn toward a bright area, so while you've done a good job of controlling exposure on the subject, you're actually creating a situation where the eye is being directed away from the subject.

What you're describing is a 'high key' look. This is achieved by supplying a lot of light to the scene, and minimizing shadow, but ENSURING your exposure is appropriate to a bright scene. Typically at least 3 lights are used in a high-key shot.

You're using a modern camera and a modern lens. IT WAS MEANT TO AUTO-FOCUS!!!! Let it do it's job. It will do it well. When you're doing this sort of work, use a single focusing point and place that on the main point of focus. Focus and recompose can cause depth-of-field related sharpness issues. I generally recommend avoiding it if possible.

You're using a modern camera and a modern lens. IT WAS MEANT TO AUTO-FOCUS!!!! Let it do it's job. It will do it well. When you're doing this sort of work, use a single focusing point and place that on the main point of focus. Focus and recompose can cause depth-of-field related sharpness issues. I generally recommend avoiding it if possible.

Phew!!! For some reason I thought manual focus was what the "pros" would do on these shots. Not quite sure where I got that from.

I've read that I should focus on the eye that is closest to me. So if there isn't a focusing point that falls over that eye (or face), what do I do? Just use the nearest focusing point? I knew that moving the camera after the autofocus was going to be bad, but I didn't know what else to do. I guess the wider the aperture is the more likely moving the camera will result in the face out of focus?

splproductions said:
Phew!!! For some reason I thought manual focus was what the "pros" would do on these shots. Not quite sure where I got that from.

I've read that I should focus on the eye that is closest to me. So if there isn't a focusing point that falls over that eye (or face), what do I do? Just use the nearest focusing point? I knew that moving the camera after the autofocus was going to be bad, but I didn't know what else to do. I guess the wider the aperture is the more likely moving the camera will result in the face out of focus?

Your photos aren't out of focus (not that i can see on my phone) so I don't think you did anything wrong. The feet are out of focus due to a shallow depth of field. Your aperture was at f/3.2 - if you were only 4 feet away your depth of field would be around 2 1/2". That's isn't very much! And with a shallow DOF I wouldn't recommend focus + recompose. Not saying you can't do it though!

You could always reposition yourself so that the focus point falls on the eye - its not like your sweet baby is going to be moving.

Even if the pros use manual focus you should do what works for you - be it autofocus or manual focus! But you will probably be thankful for autofocus once they become toddlers!

Great shots and congrats (on the babies and the new lens)!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back