Photo Shoot Question

snphotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Guys!! I have a question. I am currently a student a New York Institute of Photography studying Professional Photography. I have a couple of family photo shoot opportunities. I have never done a single photo shoot in my life and I'm just a student. I was just going to do it for free but one of the families asked what I charge. Since that one asked . . . . . what do you think would be a fair number? Keep in mind . .I have never done this before!!!!! It's a family of 4 if that helps any. Thanks. :)

Is this a joke?

You're studying PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY, but never did a photoshoot?

I hope you're not paying for that education..............

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

On to your actually question....I charge $60/hr just for my time. And then it breaks down into whatever they wants, digital copies, prints, etc.

First time shooter....I'd charge $50 for one hour with all the photos on a CD.

No it's not a joke!! I just started the class a few months ago! Give me a little slack! My family doesn't like to to have their picture's taken and either do most of my friends :(

Since you're just starting out, my first question is: Are you any good? Good photographs are worth some money, crappy photos are not.

As to what to charge; there are various sources on the internet, but if you try to get top dollar for crumby photos, the customers will be disappointed and tell others how disappointed they are.

If you do it for free, you can explain to them that you intend to use their photographs in your portfolio, and ask them to sign a model release.

Good luck!

No it's not a joke!! I just started the class a few months ago! Give me a little slack! My family doesn't like to to have their picture's taken and either do most of my friends :(
Check into modelmayhem...Most models do TFP (trade for photos) great place to find willing people.

Since you're just starting out, my first question is: Are you any good? Good photographs are worth some money, crappy photos are not.

You can take a look at my photography facebook page and judge for yourself. I'm not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but it certainly has improved since I started the class.

You can take a look at my photography facebook page and judge for yourself. I'm not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but it certainly has improved since I started the class.
I did not see any portraiture.

oh . .that's what you meant. I haven't done any before . . that's what I said to being with.

I tend to do a lot of travel photography . .. but I have to do some portrait for my class soon so I have to get some practice.

Hi Guys!! I have a question. I am currently a student a New York Institute of Photography studying Professional Photography. I have a couple of family photo shoot opportunities. I have never done a single photo shoot in my life and I'm just a student. I was just going to do it for free but one of the families asked what I charge. Since that one asked . . . . . what do you think would be a fair number? Keep in mind . .I have never done this before!!!!! It's a family of 4 if that helps any. Thanks. :)
Why not do it for free like you were originally thinking? It would be a great learning experience for you and not charging for the session would help remove some of the pressure on you. I would lower the expectations of the family by explaining that you are a student, and that you are not charging them for the session. Then, over deliver on their experience as well as the images. If you lower their expectations, and over deliver on the images, you will be a hero. If you charge them and under deliver, they will spread the word and it will be a set back for your new career.

Do the session for free, and get a model release in exchange. The good will you create with them will come back to you with future business.

Best of luck with your photo shoot!

Last edited:
Okay, having looked through the images on your facebook page, my recommendation is to simply pass. I understand that this is a chance for (1) money; and (2) portfolio images, but based on what you have done so far, I don't think you're quite ready for the challenges of family portraiture yet, and sub-par images, even free ones, will not help you in the long run. Wait until you get to these areas in your study; until you've been the basics of lighting and posing. There's NO harm in telling someone you're a student and aren't ready for this.

ah . .I don't have a teacher. It's a 100% online school . . . but they have student mentors that you can email with questions but you are not assigned one. There is a student forum and the people (other students and grads) are usually very helpful but lately they have been less then helpfully because nobody replies to your posts (and it's not just mine)!!! grrrrrrrrr

ah . .I don't have a teacher. It's a 100% online school . . . but they have student mentors that you can email with questions but you are not assigned one. There is a student forum and the people (other students and grads) are usually very helpful but lately they have been less then helpfully because nobody replies to your posts (and it's not just mine)!!! grrrrrrrrr
WTF? Are you paying for this? If you are, stop now! You can learn photography the same way by posting here and using YouTube (and probably get faster and more useful responses too).

Most reactions

Back