Photo Shoot Question

They are called student mentors because they help students. They are actually professionals that work for the school just to clarify. They are not students helping students . . that would not be very good if that was the case!
Well, that does make a difference! Any time I've heard the term "student mentor" it's been used to refer to a senior student helping a junior one.

I would have liked to see at least one person in your facebook photography page of photos. You usually don't have to go anywhere to be able to take some shots of people. My younger brother was my guinea pig when I was starting out. My sister used both myself and our younger brother for her class assignments.

Do the shoot, its family, they'll be happy if you just give it try. Then when the subject comes up in the course you might find it more interesting and not just say your a travel or landscape photographer and blow off that part.

I think the course is probably worthwhile, it can help to have something a bit structured and give a base to grow from.

It's not family . . it's some families my sister babysits for. I'll just tell the one family I'll do it for free.

Have them pay you what they pay your sister.

I'll just tell the one family I'll do it for free.
Well, gee, mister, I hate to be the one to throw a wet blanket onto your blushing career, but seriously, you are not ready to accept money for a photo shoot even if the people have offered. You really should insist on not accepting any money.

Do it for free and gain experience without the added pressure of charging money and the expectations of the paying family.
Maybe charge for prints afterwards.
Experience comes with practice.

Jeez, people can be harsh. However, I agree that you shouldn't charge right now. Just tell them you'll do it for free since you are just starting. Also ask them not to tell their friends you did it for free. That way, if in the future you want to start charging, not everyone will expect free stuff. But right now, you need the practice. And that's fine. I'm still there.

I also agree that you probably don't need to be paying for school. That money could buy a nice lens. However, seems you are already enrolled and aren't backing out. So, do this: browse this and other forums as much as possible, and watch as many youtube videos as you can. Try to match the amount of time you spend at school (probably not possible, but you see where I'm going). Decide for yourself which is better. Once you have decided, come back here and write up a good article on why you think what you do. It will help others.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back