Photo shoot

Beth81

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well I'm having my first photo shoot tomorrow. It's actually to build a portfolio to try and get an artistic scholarship. I'm still working with the Nikon d60 with only the internal flash and kit lens and the 50mm. Other then natural light any suggestions for lighting? Maybe household items like lamps or flashlights that I can use with it filtered or something maybe??

Try to avoid using the built-in flash...not only does it rarely give you nice light...but the obvious use of it would probably hurt your chances for an artistic scholarship....at least it would if I was judging.

There are plenty of things that you can use for lighting...and being creative is always good. But unless you are shooting still subjects, most lamps/flashlights just aren't bright enough for a lot of photography because of the longer shutter speeds that would be needed.

One very simple thing that can really help your photography is a reflector. It could be a simple piece of white poster board. If you are shooting a person, find a window and use the reflector on the other side and you have the makings for great portraits. Or go outside in the sun and use the reflector for fill light.

Well I'm having my first photo shoot tomorrow. It's actually to build a portfolio to try and get an artistic scholarship. I'm still working with the Nikon d60 with only the internal flash and kit lens and the 50mm. Other then natural light any suggestions for lighting? Maybe household items like lamps or flashlights that I can use with it filtered or something maybe??

Just use natural light and a reflector

Ok the white cardboard is a great idea for fill light when outside or using natural light by a window....but what if this is going to be night time?? I have a few ideas to put one of my friends sitting down against the wall in an abandoned house to be a creepy crazy person but it's suppose to be night. So I was trying to figure out how I would pull this scene off with maybe a lamp or something.

Ok the white cardboard is a great idea for fill light when outside or using natural light by a window....but what if this is going to be night time?? I have a few ideas to put one of my friends sitting down against the wall in an abandoned house to be a creepy crazy person but it's suppose to be night. So I was trying to figure out how I would pull this scene off with maybe a lamp or something.

Ideally, I'd suggest using off-camera flash...but using a lamp could certainly work...but as mentioned, you would likely need a long shutter speed (and/or a large aperture and high ISO) so blur might be an issue.

Household/indoor lighting that we typically find adequate for seeing by, is usually really dim when it comes to photography.

I use a D90 and as much as I love the camera I would never use the built in flash. Ive READ that the LED lights (flash light, cap lights, spotlights) at a sports store are cheap and use one as alternative lighting or flash from a different location on your "set" but you may need an assistant to help you. Ive never tried it....just a tip I read online.

I use a D90 and as much as I love the camera I would never use the built in flash. Ive READ that the LED lights (flash light, cap lights, spotlights) at a sports store are cheap and use one as alternative lighting or flash from a different location on your "set" but you may need an assistant to help you. Ive never tried it....just a tip I read online.

Ok thanks a bunch I'll definitely try it. Something cheap right now because they photoshoot is tomorrow and I have no extra money to spend on equipment. So we will just have to make do with what I have lying around.

Most reactions

Back