Photo sizes

Ptyler22

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.harvardpress.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a 40d and I have a few pictures that I would like to print out for my sister's dorm walls, and I was wondering what you think would be the biggest size I could print them (from a photo lab) and have them come out at reasonable quality. I mean they don't have to be perfect but I don't want them to look bad either. I figure from a viewing distance of 2-3 feet, or maybe a bit more. Thanks

If the images are sharp, you could easily go to poster size (24" x 36").

Really? Wow I was thinking I would print some 12x18's. so a 12x18 would be pretty high quality then right?

You shouldn't have any problems printing 12x18 from 40D files...but keep in mind that enlargements will make any deficiencies show...so like I said, the shots will need to be sharp in order to get good looking enlargements.

Ya the images I am printing are pretty sharp. I have never printed any so I just ordered a few 4x6's to see. I got the Supra Lustre paper, would that be a good one to use for the big ones? What paper do y0u usually print on?

How close do you think you could get to a 16x24 and still look high quality?

I had an 8 x 10 printed out at Costco. I used 300 dpi but was converted from my RAW file that was only at 240 dpi. The photo came out beautifully. I'm gonna have to try a 12 x 18 this weekend. I would like to start putting up some posters sizes of my work. Cosco is nice because you can upload your photo and they will tell you when it is done processessing and ready for pickup; usually a couple of hours or less. BTW, I asked them about their printer and they claim to print in 320 dpi.

I resize my files before I send/take them to the lab. If I'm printing 16x20s, then my file is 4800x6000 pixels (300 PPI).

My last batch, I had a few 16x20s made from 20D files and they look great. So 40D files will be OK.

Paper choice is more of a personal decision...so I'd suggest trying a few different options so you can see what you like.

I print flawless 16x20's from my 10D...so your 40D should rock! I agree that 24x36 shouldn't be an issue.

Mike

Most reactions

Back