Photo to Painting Effects - What's Your Best Examples?

ToddM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Anyone into photo to painting effects besides me? I don't have Photoshop but I can get some pretty good effects with GIMP along with 3rd party plugins. Fotosketcher is a great free stand alone program I recently discovered also.

Here's one I did with GIMP and the G'MIC plugin using the Artistic/Brushify filter. I actually had this one printed on canvas and framed to hang on my wall:
LunaStreet.png

Original. This photo was taken in 1957 by my father while stationed in Japan during his service in the US Air Force:
Japan54.jpg

I found this awesome HDR photo on the net and ran it through Fotosketcher then tweaked it in GIMP. The effect is subtle but looks cool:
Night%20Seeker%20Signature%20Canvas.png

Original HDR photo:
greatHDRphoto_1.jpg

Fotosketch and GIMP. I had this one printed on canvas and framed also:
LighthouseFotoSketchCanvas.jpg

Original. Ugly outbuilding cloned out and additional scenery added through cloning before running through Fotosketch and GIMP:
IMG_0311_3_1.jpg

This VA State Fairground pic I did earlier this afternoon is pretty colorful. Fotosketcher "Painting 6" and "Painting 7 (brushstrokes)" merged together:
fairgrounds1000px.jpg

Original
IMG_0511.jpg

Captured this HDR image from the internet. Fotosketcher "Painting 6"
Southwest%20Signed%20Canvas%20Applied.png

Original
Southwest_1.jpg

FotoSketcher "Painting 6" then GIMP Colors/Auto White Balance then Colors/Color Enhance
swamp1000px.png

Took this photo of a swampy area off the side of 64 West many years ago then clone tooled it into a panoramic image
swmp2.png

Last edited:
I pushed one of my shots I wasn't so happy with into a oil painting with PS; I rarely do it... it was for a challenge here;

Eagle_View_oil.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back