Photographer detained in NYC for taking photos of subway

Shelly1204

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Since this seems to be a timely topic around here, figured I'd post it. NYPD illegally detained another photographer because he took pictures of a subway car. He settled for $30,000. Unfortunately this is one of many in NYC, and it's costing the taxpayers lots of money. I really wish they would train the police better.

Shutterbug Fights Bogus Ticket

The very clear response for all photographers who are harassed for taking pictures in public places should be to sue the city. That is the only way to protect your rights and those of other photographers.

skieur

sue the city.

Apparently that guy did, and settled out of court for $30k.
(Still waiting for the article to load...)

Chief of Police (or whatever the NYPD calls it) is a public office, isn't it?
Vote someone with a little sense in. Get someone in there that will change the policies (don't hold your breath).

Yes, if all photographers who were harassed by police or security sued, then the message would get across not to bother photographers shooting in public places.

skieur

Chief of Police (or whatever the NYPD calls it) is a public office, isn't it?
Vote someone with a little sense in. Get someone in there that will change the policies (don't hold your breath).

Nope, the police commissioner is appointed, not an elected official.

I must have been thinking of the Sheriff's Department... That (the Sheriff) is an elected office...

30K - that's outrageous. When I last visited the USA over 10 years ago I thought it was a police state, but I can't imagine how bad government control must be now. I thought it was funny that you couldn't even cross the road without permission. And what happens in the USA happens in the UK - will nobody stand up for human rights, or have the government gone so far in freaking us out that we have no conception of this any more?

All I can say is Im taking a long weekend and going to New York and take come pictures of the transit system and then maybe I will be able to buy a D3X and some bad ass glass to go with it.

After 9/11 a lot of police, especially in NYC, are jumpy about people taking pictures of things like trains, buildings, planes, etc. Which is unfortunate. And many other people are completely oblivious about what you can and cannot take pictures of.

I was in the park a few weeks ago taking pictures of flowers and the stream and I had a lady tell me to stop taking pictures, because she and her family was in the background and that it was illegal to take pictures of people without their permission. First, I wasn't focused on them and I was working with a pretty shallow DOF, so they wouldn't have been made out. But more importantly, you are allowed to take pictures of people in public places, who are not trying to maintain a certain amount of privacy (not hiding behind a pillar or tree or what-not). It just goes to show how unaware some people are.

As far as a Police State? We have rules that we have to follow or we would be living in chaos. But I never felt controlled or policed in my life. As long as I, or anyone else, is not breaking some law or ordinance, we can do what we want.

Unfortunately some cops think they are the law and anything they say is law. I think we need to better train police and everyone else with authority over the public.

As for this person getting awarded that money, good for him. I would hope it would teach them a lesson, but as seen and heard in the video, it won't. They saidNYC had to pay $31,000 not long before this $30,000 and that transit guy tried to tell the media they couldn't? lol ridiculous, undertrained people.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back