Photographic Filters

gabrielh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,
What would you suggest as a company of Photographic filter with best quality? Is it best to stay with Nikkon filters—as I use Nikon lenses—or is it ok (if not better?) to use Hoya or B-W (Schneider) or others?
Thanks for any answer!

Anyone has an idea? Many thanks!

Besdes a UV filter which should be on ALL your lenses, you may consider a CP (circular polarizer). In some cases if you take a lot of pictures in very bright conditions, you may consider some ND (neutral density) filters.

Hoya makes some good filters that I am pleased with.

Thanks, Jerry, for the answer! I have read some info on the internet about UV-filters used to protect the lenses. But what I don't understand: do these filters protect the lenses from too much light, or from scratches, or from other physical damages?
Thanks!

UV filters are mostly for physical damage. Better to scratch a filter than the front lens element.

The other are effects filters.

Jerry, i've been on here one day and I find that you are a great source of info, I wouldn't be caught dead with out my UV filters on. I like my CPL for quite a few shots and been looking into ND Grad filters.

Besdes a UV filter which should be on ALL your lenses, ...
This is debatable and a personal choice. I use to, but do not now....... but, I will be getting one to swap around on the larger lenses when I am roughing it on the trail / woods / dirt track / etc.

Thanks, Jerry, for the answer! I have read some info on the internet about UV-filters used to protect the lenses. But what I don't understand: do these filters protect the lenses from too much light, or from scratches, or from other physical damages?
Thanks!
If you do mount a protective filter on your lens, I suggest a clear glass one. If you choose not to, always, always, almost always use the lens hood for protecting the front element.

On CPL filters..... ummm wait a minute........ where did I put it.......... Oh, here we go. Click here.

Jerry, i've been on here one day and I find that you are a great source of info, I wouldn't be caught dead with out my UV filters on. I like my CPL for quite a few shots and been looking into ND Grad filters.
E-A-S-Y....... his head's big enough as it is. :lol:

Ok! Can you put a CPL or other filter on top of a UV filter? I know it has been asked before, and perhaps it is in the link of kundalini, but I don't really understand it... Thanks!

You can stack filters but the more you stack and the wider the lens, the more risk you get with vignetting. (We are talking about screw-on filters btw.)

It doesn't apply for your listed lens, but for ultra wide lenses it is recommended to go with a slim filter (vignetting). The frame is about half the thickness of a regular filter, but with one drawback..... no front threads.

The CPL will go on top btw.

Just a note on the UV for protection. For anything outside I would have one on...I shot mainly motocross, so I have one on all mine. But the problem is price. To get good quality CLEAR glass I spend around $150 for each.
If you are shooting in a studio setting with exact lighting, then there is no need for one.

E-A-S-Y....... his head's big enough as it is. :lol:

He don't know me very well do he? :lol: :lol:

Not to worry, that will change as soon as he starts reading more of my posts... LMAO!

If you are shooting in a studio setting with exact lighting, then there is no need for one.

Accidents can happen anywhere, and as I said, its a lot cheaper for me to replace a clear UV filter than a complete lens. Better safe than sorry. Oh, I also completely agree about using GOOD filters. Bad filters will impede the ability of any lens to do it's best.

Soooooo, I thank you all a lot for your answers! I have checked in my local store and they sell different UV-filters: Hoya (cheapest), B-W (doubled price) and Nikon (also more than B-W). Is there any real difference between these three companies? Which one would you recommend. I just want to protect the lens with a filter which could last some time...
Thanks!!

And actually, there is even Cokin, which is even cheaper... So, a lot of choices, which do you recommend? Thanks!

Which Hoya. There's a world of difference between Hoya standard filters and B+W, but there's not much difference at all between Hoya SHMC filters and the rest of them.

Most reactions

Back