Photographing a sporting event

rob91

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok, if I were to show up with my camera at a local sport event (probably involving kids, maybe highschool or younger) and snapped, do you think anyone would give me a hassle? I mean, they are taking place on public fields, although for the sports I'm guessing privately used by whatever league is occupying them. I'd like to get some experience in sports photography, so I'm just curious if anyone has ever tried anything like this. I suppose the worst that could happen is I get asked to leave.

I have never had anyone complain. Just pay for a ticket, walk in with your gear and take pics. High School Sports are good for this because you can still get close and the action is generally good enough to make some really great pics.

I have never had anyone complain. Just pay for a ticket, walk in with your gear and take pics. High School Sports are good for this because you can still get close and the action is generally good enough to make some really great pics.

Thanks that is reassuring. I will give it a try soon.

Try to locate the principal (or attending administrator) to introduce yourself. You may make quite a few friends as well as sales! As a teacher and photographer, I can honestly say that parents and students are always excited to have photographers show up. Make sure to bring business cards!

This is something I was planning for this upcoming high school football season. I was just wondering what to charge for some action shots....any ideas?

This is something I was planning for this upcoming high school football season. I was just wondering what to charge for some action shots....any ideas?

I have only done a few events. At the race track at least, I started at $5 each, and then made it 3 for $10. The 3 for $10 made sales rise quite a bit. $5 seems steep for a 4x6, but when you can pick 3 pictures for $10 bucks, it doesn't sound near as bad.

Just me, though...I'm going to try to play with prices as I get more jobs.

I did a 24-team basketball tournament (high school, small town) and nobody complained about the 3 for 10 deals. The people who bought pictures were parents of course.

If you post these online, DO post a fat watermark on there.

I do events for my high school all the time...No one really has a problem with me.

I show up at minor league baseball games all the time and take lots of pictures...

The only time I've ever gotten hassled about my camera was in an arena...definitely check building policies if you're going into a stadium/arena.

Most reactions

Back