Photographing grandchildren!

Lonnie1212

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Tried photographing grandchildren over the Thanksgiving holidays. Their ages are 5, 4, and 2. We all went out to the backyard. I took a Nikon D610 with a 24-120 lens. I got the challenge of my life. They will not hold still for very long. Most of the pics did not turn out. They cannot hold still. They were also wearing big coats and hats, so if they were running their faces were not visible. It was a time of learning.

sounds accurate.

The key is being prepared and having the camera set up so you have at least a foot or more in terms of a depth of field swath . If there are three kids and they are running hither and yon that is extremely difficult. one secret is to give the three kids something interesting to relate to such as a board game,a dog,or horse, or a bicycle, or some other interesting thing that will force them into close proximity without them being made aware of your desire to keep them in the same spot. A good example would be going to McDonald's. you place two kids seated side by side at the table and have the 3rd step in between, and then have them play with their Happy Meal toys which at the current time are from the movie Frozen II.

You are right though, three kids in your backyard without any form of structure to hold them( am I implying that children are like largemouth bass, that they relate to structure? LOL) might very well be difficult or almost impossible, so it is much easier if you focus on one child or two at the most unless you have some way of naturally forming a group in an informal pose.

Good luck with that!

One of my granddaughters, aged 6, gets so annoyed with my picture taking she won't even look at me if I take my camera along when we go on a hike.

My best results come, as mentioned above, when they are preoccupied with something. I just keep my camera close and use a longer lens so I don't have to get close and disturb them. And hope for the best.

Thanks for the responses guys. Photography is a learning experience in more ways than one.

Did nobody tell you
Not to photograph kids and pets..... it’s a nightmare. My best shot of my g daughter is of her looking at a menu
That look on here face as she tried to decide what to have, aged 5 at the time.

My 3 schnauzers are easier to photograph than the 3 grands. They are 9, 6, and 3. Someone is crying or pouting. Have them hold hands and run towards you, play ring around the rosy, jump shots, ask them questions. I let mine take turns posing the other two and let them push the button. Or posing Mom and pushing the button. Bribes work too.

Most reactions

Back