Photographing the Banal

BRI_0346.JPG

Interesting. It has some oblique lines, a couple of shapes (circles, rectangles, sort of a trapezoid) and some good tonal contrast. I think it might be stronger with less of the paneling in the shot on the top and left - it seems to me to just dilute the other elements.

Interesting. It has some oblique lines, a couple of shapes (circles, rectangles, sort of a trapezoid) and some good tonal contrast. I think it might be stronger with less of the paneling in the shot on the top and left - it seems to me to just dilute the other elements.
thanks. you forgot the v formation and the cylinder sticking up in the middle but I didn't do much for processing here so it needs work. Agree on the siding I think. First I liked it as the pattern changed from the unalignment but it probably is too much. I kind of wish the trash barrels weren't there.

The second one, leading to the fence, is the sort of photo I keep in my "HA!" folder, reserved for life's ironies. The last one, "I love you + please keep out" would also go there, but the image, as distinct from the content, is also very nice. I'd like to see more.

Probaly said in some earlier post, and just as probably better said: But worth repeating nonetheless. There are no banal objects, subjects, or themes in photography or art...there are an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

edit; I liked that so much I put it in my signature line. ;)

Last edited:
Paul, you are probably right! That's what it is, we were at the gas station and I was playing while I waited, I was shooting the snow fence as we drove and loved the lines.

I'll add a couple:

Banal_01.JPG

And one in a different area:

Banal_02.JPG

Most reactions

New Topics

Back