Photography course-what camera?

sammi_b

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ive just started a city & guilds level 2 course but I dont have a camera! Im looking for one under £150 (film) can anybody recommend any and also where to buy from?

Welcome to the forum.

Are you looking for a newer (auto focus) camera or would an older manual focus camera suit you fine?

The old Pentax K-1000 seems to be a popular suggestion for people just starting out. A sturdy, reliable camera that was once very popular, so it should be easy to find on E-bay or in a 2nd hand shop.
Same goes for the Canon AE-1.

Either way, a 50mm lens would be a nice lens to start with.

Well I need a camera that can be controlled manually, I just dont really know what Im looking at, although I would like a nikon can you suggest any models?

Well, I'm a Canon user...so I don't know very much about the various Nikon models.

Someone around here will have some suggestions though.

sammi_b said:
Well I need a camera that can be controlled manually, I just dont really know what Im looking at, although I would like a nikon can you suggest any models?

When a class asks for a camera with manual controls they usually mean manual aperture and shutter control. Most 35mm SLRs have this.

Do you want a newer style, mostly electronic, auto-focus camera, or an older style, mostly mechanical, manual focus camera?

I like the Nikon FM2 or FM2n. It's an older style camera. Durable, and simple to use, but it has a few nice features such as a higher than normal flash synch speed, and mirror lock-up (with the self-timer function). My favorite feature is that it can operate with no batteries.

we have some pentax k1000's at our school and i really like those. i've also heard they are VERY sturdy and well built so they wont break easy. I shoot a nikon n65 and its been good to me.

first post :wink:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back