Everyone has a different way of learning. I actually seem to enjoy typically structured courses, teacher in front, etc.
Others, like my wife, excell when they are in a more mentor/tutor kind of learning system.
Getting private courses from a good photographer who can teach is your best bet, but the most expensive.
Camera stores often offer courses for novices, but I find that these are packed with people who really are just there to get quick info on how to shoot masterpieces with their P&S cameras.
I would lean towards going to a college locally and seeing what they offer. I went to a university here in Montreal who offered a Photography diploma at night. 1 course = 4 hours per week for 10 weeks. And there are 9 courses to be taken. It does cost me a few hundred per course, but I'm not only learning with hands on, I'm also making great contacts with other photographers and such as we are usually the same 10-12 people we see in the courses