Photography---is an opinionisitic art form

If the photographer needs to add more than the photo can say or guide the viewer using your words, then, his composition and photographic technique have NOT achieved his objectives and it is a weak photo.

skieur

Garbled syntax aside, no one can state what every photographer's objective should be.

I am not in favor of explanatory text that stands in the stead of a well conceived photo but sometimes a word, a title, a single line can add a certain useful extra note to the context and appreciation of a picture.

Is this in regards to simply viewing an image in a gallery (real or interweb), or in an instructional situation where the photographer is asking for help?

This has been twisted in this thread. It is an important distinction to make, and people here aren't. I think it's important when asking for critique and comments on whether the image works, is to know what the intention of the image is. Whereas no, I do not expect an explanation of intent in a gallery or museum show. Often museums DO include background information along with the exhibit.

If the photographer needs to add more than the photo can say or guide the viewer using your words, then, his composition and photographic technique have NOT achieved his objectives and it is a weak photo.

skieur

Garbled syntax aside, no one can state what every photographer's objective should be.

I apologize for my garbled syntax. My only excuse is that I am taking lots of eye drops so my editing skills are limited at the moment.

skieur

Most reactions

Back