photography magazines?

mikehaugen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I was just curious if any of you subscribe to any magazines. I have looked in the stores and most of what I see just talk about new equipment and reviews, I am looking for more like tips and techniques. My father used to be in photography back in the 70's and 80's and I remember seeing a lot of magazines that he got and if I remember right like "American Photographer" or something that seemed to be what I am looking for. Is that even still in current print? Or what else do you guys like?

I see a lot of posts here about photography books, but not so much about magazines.

Thanks for the feedback. (I hope)

Have you seen PhotoVision? It's not a magazine, but a periodic DVD. Depending on your level of experience, one could learn a good deal from these.

For magazines specifically, I subscribe to Professional Photographer and Rangefinder.

Outdoor Photographer, Shutterbug, and Popular Photography are OK.

US photography magazines are just cover-to-cover advertisements, occasionally interspersed with a how-to article that gets rehashed yearly.

Basically, after 16 or 17 months all the how-to articles start to repeat.

I get Rangefinder and Photoshop User magazines. Because I have a studio I get Rangefinder gratis, and Photoshop User is included with my yearly NAPP (National Association of Photoshop Professionals) membership.

If you use my referral link - Learn Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom and Digital Photography | NAPP - to join NAPP you can receive The Best of Photoshop User: The Twelfth Year DVD as a bonus gift. Just use this special discount code — FRIEND —. At the referral link click on "Benefits" there near the top right to see what you get if you join.

Last edited:
Rangefinder, Professional Photographer and Digital Photo Pro.

Thanks guys for the feedback, I might look into rangefinder as it seems to be a popular one.

US photography magazines are just cover-to-cove advertisements, occasionally interspersed with a how-to article that gets rehashed yearly.

Keith, this is what I was afraid of and what I have kinda noticed. As stated, I don't need someone that is telling me all about the new stuff that's out every month or any advertisements.

The magazines I buy reularly are View Camera, Nature Photographer, Photo life, American Photo, and Photo technique. These magazines are informative and provide me with a source of inspiration. They don't care if you use film or digital. It's the photo that counts.
Magazines like Outdoor Photography Canada, and Outdoor Photographer are no longer a must have when they come out. I find that magazines that promote digital only photography calling for an end to film, and that have writers that look down their noses at us film only users are getting my money a whole lot less. I'll purchase other photo mags if they have an article that interests me but that's not too often any more.

Thanks guys for the feedback, I might look into rangefinder as it seems to be a popular one.

US photography magazines are just cover-to-cove advertisements, occasionally interspersed with a how-to article that gets rehashed yearly.

Keith, this is what I was afraid of and what I have kinda noticed. As stated, I don't need someone that is telling me all about the new stuff that's out every month or any advertisements.

Scary fact is I feel the same about most that we have - and I'm in the UK and our mags are supposed to be better than the US ones -- so I dread to think what the content of hte US ones is like.

Myself I think the best one to get is National Geographic - great articls worth read - few adverts (and most of them are for good solid canon gear) - and inspiring photos. Sometimes they ever interview and talk to photographers and the like as well.

B&W magazine is my favorite. Recently (as of the latest issue) the magazine Color (same publisher) has merged with it - so it is now B&W and Color.

It may not be what you're looking for (you won't find any how-to articles in those pages), but I highly recommend it. It's more geared towards art collectors and the like.

What I like about it is that it generally has very good work in it, and there are very few ads. Because there aren't many ads, the magazine itself costs a little more than others - but it's worth it.

For how-to articles, I don't subscribe to any of those kinds of magazines. If I see an issue that has something that interests me, I'll buy that - but I don't subscribe. Those types of magazines are better if you just buy the ones that have a specific article you want to read, IMO. Also, they are typically 50-60% ads...

B&W has maybe 5 pages of ads per issue, and they are all together at the very back of the magazine. And it's all ads for galleries, or printing services - so I don't mind it as much.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back