Alison

Swiss Army Friend
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
fatephoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ever find that you lose motivation to take photos? Usually I take the camera with me everywhere and take an insane amount of photos. Lately though, it seems to sit in the bag more and more. I don't why that would happen? And I'm frustrated with the photos I do take which isn't helping. Is that a normal part of a photograpers life....like writers block? Maybe I just need to try something new, I always tend to focus on portraits/people shots. Just wondering if others go through the same thing from time to time....

Sure we do! You're not alone, honey.

For me, it's going over the same old ground again...and again...and again....till I've bored myself to death. :lol:

That's why I like having different cameras to play with. It's inspiring just to know you're using different formats, different films, etc. I ran around like nuts with my Pentax MZ and shot nothing but slide film for MONTHS. Granted I use that for my alternative stuff, but still....(yawn) it gets old. I barely could finish my last roll and my feeling is it's all plonk. :mrgreen:

So then it's time to turn to the MF stuff, or even break out one of the Polaroids. It's amazing how my brain switches gears and I can pull off something fun.

Photography, good photography, also requires a huge time investment. Could be that between your job, school, kids, and having to hustle for the wedding biz, some of the luster has gone out for you. Maybe it's ok to let it lay for awhile....till it naturally comes back. :) Art can't be forced, so don't even bother while it doesn't "feel right" inside. Make any sense, or am I senselessly babbling like I often do?? :mrgreen:

Everyone does. And it's not only down to photography side of you but the over things in your life to. You'll snap out of it. I know you will.

In the last month I've taken 4-5 photos I think.

Sounds normal to me...nothing to worry about. You could use it as an excuse to try something different, experiment with some other aspect of photography.

I go through quite a few dry patches with photography...mostly because I can't afford to spend much on film & developing.

So Terri, what you're saying is that we need a Daylab, right? :mrgreen:
I totally know what you mean, maybe I should try shooting some film through one of Aubrey's older cameras...all manual...no light meter...it would be great :lmao: I've wanted to try medium format as well. I still think Aubrey will jump for the Daylab idea :hail:

Could it be that we become so entrenched in our approach to photography that we forget how to have fun with it? Like a pilot preparing for take-off, every shot includes a long checklist of technical and aesthetic minutia that has to be considered before the shutter button can be pressed – exposure, background, direction of light, shadows, depth of field, shutter speed, fill flash, diffusers and/or reflectors, filters, subject parallel to film, and forget about trying to capture a great image in harsh light.

There in, I believe, lies the part of the problem. The pursuit of the same type of subject, using the same repetitive measure of success, can ultimately lead to the stagnation of artistic intuition and diminish enjoyment of the activity. Before we know it, every shot we take becomes nothing more than a regimented process governed by a mental list of do’s and don’ts. While mastery of these techniques and procedures ultimately makes us better photographers, the absence of the "fun factor" will most certainly be evident in our results.

I, for one, am getting bored with architectual themes and plan on having some fun one evening and hit the subway. My equipment will be simple; digital cam, 28-70mm lens and a monopod. It's something different for me and I'm taking a fun, lackadaisical approach to this. Like you, I need a change.

AlisonS said:
So Terri, what you're saying is that we need a Daylab, right? :mrgreen:
I totally know what you mean, maybe I should try shooting some film through one of Aubrey's older cameras...all manual...no light meter...it would be great :lmao: I've wanted to try medium format as well. I still think Aubrey will jump for the Daylab idea :hail:
er...hrummph!! I'll not be the reason you spend the extra $$ for a Daylab when there're more important things to buy for the children. :bigangel:

subliminal text: HELL YES, you need a Daylab!! I've been telling ya for months!! It will revolutionize your boring slide shots and you'll experience an artistic re-awakening like nothing you've ever had before, in your whole, entire LIFE!!!!

I get in tangled up with photographers block too. I really think that anyone that is creative has that happen from time to time and it's normal. During those times... nothing seems interesting enough to take a photo of it and any photos that I do take just seem to be lacking. I'm my own worse critic anyways but it gets extreme. It's hard to get past that feeling but, the way that I've done it is to try something besides portraits. (Using different cameras help too) I've started getting more and more into landscapes. If that's boring, I always keep my extension tube or a filter or 2 on hand so that I can do some macros. If that doesn't work, just take someone you really like :eyebrows: out with you at night, set the camera to bulb and try to get so busy that you forget that you're supposed to be taking photos and end up over-exposing your film. :greenpbl: The film is toast but you had a good time. Seems to help clear photographers block for me. :sexywink:

doxx said:
couldn't have said it better... I photograph almost all the time,
more or less. I do the best after a creative break using a
different camera.

here a small gallery after a 3 month Rolleiflex break:
http://www.urbansnitch.com/bronx-colors/
That was eye candy; I especially like the purple wall and the outlet. :thumbup: Thanks for that!! :)

Most reactions

Back