Photographying WHITE Objects???

timmyp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hello everyone. i am an ametur photographer that is just starting out and could really put my camera to use for my families company who i work for. we are starting a website and i need to take high quality pictures of our products to put on our website. (i'm shooting with a cannon rebel xti) i dont have any other photography equipment other than a tripod.
the products are cabinet doors made out of mdf. the doors are painted with a white gloss. how can i get the best photo of these doors? what color and material of background should i use, positioning of any lighting, what kind of lighting, camera settings and anything else that would help me.
i have attached a quick photograph of a door that isn't painted just to give you an idea of what i'm photographing.
thanks so much.
tim

You have already posted this in the beginner section where it belongs. You should avoid posting in multiple forum sections.

sorry, i decided this was a better forum to post it in.

Wow...is this really the type of forum responses this site contains?? Do you not have anything better to do but to post this comment on someones post who is obviously new to the forum and spelled out it my post that I was a beginner??? If you don't have any constructive feedback, why post at all?? Its easy to be an idiot when your pretty much anonymous.

This is not really a beginners question..... it's a commercial product question... considering the poster is about backgrounds and lighting on a gloss white surface it's actually quite a complicated question...

any of you twits with your snippy remarks care to actually try to help with this?

op- Product photography is not something I generally do... but I would think if you are photographing the cabinets in isolation you would want a darker back drop to make them stand out... white gloss can be hard to light... especially when you have no flash... you may have to rent some equipment and do some studying...

I'll be back in a sec with a useful link that I've seen on product photography.

EDIT: Here you go http://www.prophotolife.com/video-library/

These are excellent tutorials that will point you in the right direction. There are several for studio product photography including dealing with reflective surfaces. Learn and enjoy!

Last edited:
any of you twits with your snippy remarks care to actually try to help with this?

Sure, this twit doesn't mind helping. :lmao:
Please do not double post, it *is* a basic question, and since the OP has no lighting equipment, has no real knowledge or experience about the basics of photography, I would suggest that they start with that.

Sure, this twit doesn't mind helping. :lmao:
Please do not double post, it *is* a basic question, and since the OP has no lighting equipment, has no real knowledge or experience about the basics of photography, I would suggest that they start with that.

Great answer Jerry.... thanks for blithering yet more of your hot air in the forum...

i knew jerry would agree with me!!!

btw OP... if you want help.. its generally a good idea to not be a smart alic when you dont get what you want...

the reason i said its a beginner question is because you know nothing.. you dont even have a flash.. you need to learn how to properly light first before you go further, otherwise the pics will suck.

what great insight and knowledge you have chris. your a real ASSet to this forum.

thanks everyone for your feedback and suggestions.

i try timmy... how about instead of sitting at your computer crying because i said your question should be in the beginners forum, you go out and get some lights and learn how to use them

i try to give hugs, but when people try to be smart with me, it really irks me... i mean, its been 2 weeks since i got an infraction from the mods... so I must be getting better...

Wow! There are true a$$es that subscribe to this forum. Someone is humble to ask a question and try to broaden his knowledge base and this is how you welcome them. I seriously doubt most would be that rude in person if someone walked up and asked a question, but some find it comforting to hide behind a keyboard.

Anyway, I'm sorry for the cold reception.

Semper Fi,
Majdi

i try to give hugs, but when people try to be smart with me, it really irks me... ..

Things is Chris if you reread all the posts you will see that OP wasn't trying to be smart with you. He was merely pointing out the fact that your're an idiot.

Most reactions

Back